CPerry9286@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:28:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/2000 1:18:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
nbaumgardner@phillips.com writes:

> Eh, wait I'm saying is that even a specialized shaped-charge warhead, or
> even a long-rod penetrator, of 90mm size for instance will still not
penetrate an
> M1's armor for instance. Even specialized warheads need to be of sufficient
size.
> That's why calibers keep going up (until the end of the Cold War, they were
.
> working on 140mm guns).

beside shell mass etc, you must also take into consideration the speed of the
round when it impacts. 90mm rounds at relitivistic speeds from a rail gun
(which is my idea of what a zion zaku machine gun is) would take a M1 with no
trouble at all. Even a smaller round (50 cal. etc) would penetrate, cause
sufficient damage to take out the M1 and pass on through to the next target...