Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:54:40 -0400

Lim Jyue wrote:

> At 13:23 06/25/2000 -0400, Neil Baumgardner wrote:
> >That's true, and such satellite dismantling is shown in MS Era. However, this
> >should prohibit terrain counter matching (TERCOM). TERCOM simply takes the
> >known counters of the Earth and uses it for navigation purposes. Older
> versions
> >of Tomahawk solely relied on this.
>
> Yes, but again, Earth- or Moon- specific. It doesn't sound like it
> would be much use in space.

Yeah, I was branching off into general Gundam applications, not necessarily for
the anti-colony application.

> Furthermore, it's most likely used against static targets, not
> MSes.. Since most of the Gundam series concentrated on MS fights, they might
> have been used but simply not shown.

That's true.

> >AFAIK, a Sidewinder has a far smaller warhead than a 90mm round.
>
> A warhead smaller than 90mm can still penetrate and bounce around
> inside an MS (and hopefully catch the pilot..). It's the way the warhead is
> designed to work that's a bit more important.

Eh, not necessarily true. You do need some sufficient size for a shaped-charge
warhead to work against a certain amount of armor. For instance 90mm rounds would
be generally ineffective against an M1 tank. So, if you have an IR, wire-guided
missile, it would have to be of sufficient size to penetrate an MS' armor.

> >True again. I was simply pointing out that such air-to-air missiles are
> >IR-guided, while anti-tank ones are usually wire-guided.
>
> Would that be a major difference? IR and wire won't be affected by
> Minovsky either way. In fact, in the novelization, Tomino specifically
> mentioned that the missiles used in colonies are wire-guided, but I don't
> think this was ever shown in 0080 when a few missed the Kampfer and hit a
> school instead.

Yes, and I believe the Zeon helicopter in 08th MS Team uses wire-guided missiles,
but for space combat, IR missiles would be generally more effective. I was simply
pointing out that I dont believe IR missiles are said to exist in Gundam AFAIK. In
fact guidance of the GP03's missiles, as well as others, dont seem to be described
at all.

    Neil