Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:23:48 MST

>At 13:59 06/23/2000 -0400, Neil Baumgardner wrote:
>
> Sorry for the slow response; Had been in a slow mood lately..
>
> >Combine the two, and you've got the equivalent of a Tomahawk cruise
>missile.
>
> How practical is it in terms of aiming it at a cylinder? While you
>can use landmarks on Earth for terminal guidance, the possible reference in
>space would be stars and possibly, the Sun, Earth and Moon. How accurately
>can current sensors do this?

35 years ago some U.S. ballistic missiles used stellar guidance to update
their inertial guidance systems in flight. Considering their CEP, it has to
be fairly accurate.

> I think fairly well, actually, but is it well enough to hit a
>target
>that can be either 10 to 40 kilometer long, without external course
>corrections?
>
> >IMO, this is one of the things that is a little missing from Gundam.
>AFAIK,
> >minovsky particles shouldnt affect terrain counter or GPS inertial
>navigation
> >systems, or optical based missile guidance systems.
>
> If the GPS system requires a fix on GPS satelite, it might not be
>possible to do that in minovsky-heavy enviroment.
>
> Besides, GPS is restricted to Earth only; you can try to implement
>such a system in space, but I think the enemy would immediately take such
>satelites down. =)
>
> >There should be more cruise missiles and even short-range Sidewinder type
> >air-to-air and anti-MS missiles. Then again, I guess you'd need a pretty
>big
> >warhead (compared to today's standards) for the latter ;)
>
> In 1979, many of these missiles are not around or newly
>introduced;
>understandable that the original series didn't have them. 0083, OTOH,
>showed
>us a good example of anti-MS missiles, in the form of GP03D's missile pods.
>Those do appear to be guided..

Excuse me!!!!

The Sidewinder was introduced in the 1950s and extensively used in Vietnam.
By 1979 copies were being used by almost every Air Force in the world. The
first cruise missile was the V-1 'Buzz Bomb' introduced back in WWII. The
U.S. deployed the Hound Dog nuclear cruise missile back in the '50s, and
Russia deployed an extensive arsenal of cruise missiles. Anti-Tank missiles
were somewhat new in 1979 but they were used extensively in the 1973 Yom
Kippur war.

> I don't think anti-MS missiles need to be that significantly
>larger
>than air-to-air missiles; we have seen Burning's GM explode due to quite
>minor initial damage, and small-bore (for MS) weapons of 90mm can bring
>down
>MSes. A Sidewinder probably won't do much besides a small hole and
>fragmentation damage, but in the right place it can bring down an MS.
>
> The best type of anti-MS missiles is probably an anti-tank
>missiles,
>designed to burn through armour. Air-to-air, especially IR guided missiles,
>kill more by fragments/ flaking than direct hits, AFAIK, which means an MS
>with a shield might be able to take it on the shield and survive relatively
>intact.
>
> An anti-tank missile should be able to punch through the shield
>and
>cause some damage to the main body of the MS. If it strikes a limb, an AT
>missile should have a good chance at amputating the limb totally.

Since armor that will stop small arms fire will stop most fragments,
anti-aircraft type fragmentation warheads won't be of much use against MS.
Some sort of shaped charge warhead like an anti-tank missile is more likely.