Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:57:47 +0800

At 13:59 06/23/2000 -0400, Neil Baumgardner wrote:

        Sorry for the slow response; Had been in a slow mood lately..

>Combine the two, and you've got the equivalent of a Tomahawk cruise missile.

        How practical is it in terms of aiming it at a cylinder? While you
can use landmarks on Earth for terminal guidance, the possible reference in
space would be stars and possibly, the Sun, Earth and Moon. How accurately
can current sensors do this?

        I think fairly well, actually, but is it well enough to hit a target
that can be either 10 to 40 kilometer long, without external course corrections?

>IMO, this is one of the things that is a little missing from Gundam. AFAIK,
>minovsky particles shouldnt affect terrain counter or GPS inertial navigation
>systems, or optical based missile guidance systems.

        If the GPS system requires a fix on GPS satelite, it might not be
possible to do that in minovsky-heavy enviroment.

        Besides, GPS is restricted to Earth only; you can try to implement
such a system in space, but I think the enemy would immediately take such
satelites down. =)

>There should be more cruise missiles and even short-range Sidewinder type
>air-to-air and anti-MS missiles. Then again, I guess you'd need a pretty big
>warhead (compared to today's standards) for the latter ;)

        In 1979, many of these missiles are not around or newly introduced;
understandable that the original series didn't have them. 0083, OTOH, showed
us a good example of anti-MS missiles, in the form of GP03D's missile pods.
Those do appear to be guided..

        I don't think anti-MS missiles need to be that significantly larger
than air-to-air missiles; we have seen Burning's GM explode due to quite
minor initial damage, and small-bore (for MS) weapons of 90mm can bring down
MSes. A Sidewinder probably won't do much besides a small hole and
fragmentation damage, but in the right place it can bring down an MS.

        The best type of anti-MS missiles is probably an anti-tank missiles,
designed to burn through armour. Air-to-air, especially IR guided missiles,
kill more by fragments/ flaking than direct hits, AFAIK, which means an MS
with a shield might be able to take it on the shield and survive relatively
intact.

        An anti-tank missile should be able to punch through the shield and
cause some damage to the main body of the MS. If it strikes a limb, an AT
missile should have a good chance at amputating the limb totally.

        One problem with anti-MS missiles is that MS can evade laterally
much faster than an aircraft or a tank.