Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:51:02 MST

SNIP

>In fact, I've often felt that the docking bay block SHOULD spin along with
>the
>rest of the colony, with a large permanently-evacuated bay to receive
>ships. As
>the ships are drawn away from the axis of rotations, they gain "weight"
>enough
>to bring them to rest against the inner wall of the block. There'd be
>enough
>"gravity" to make maintenance easier, but not enough to make it even more
>burdensome.

Two possible disadvantages: Is it would be somewhat more difficult to unload
extremely large or bulky cargos under gravity (even low gravity) than it is
in zero G. Second, you wouldn't have any space for zero G manufacturing.

Perhaps have one bay block that rotates and another that is stationary?

>Launching back into space would even simpler. Instead of raising the ship
>back
>up into the airless axis and shoving it back the way it came in, I'd
>"lower" it
>out the "bottom" of the bay block and turn it loose, using the rotation of
>the
>block as a catapult.
>
>I can't take credit for that idea -- Tomino has escape pods launch from the
>colony proper in this fashion in his Gundam novelizations.

Not to mention the Cobra Bays on Babylon 5.