-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 14:07:42 -0700

Hmmm. That could be what happened to Texas colony.

The bay blocks are considerably smaller than the colony proper, with a maximum
diameter of two kilometers, so even at a full half-RPM the "gravity" will be
cloe to that of the Moon.

In fact, I've often felt that the docking bay block SHOULD spin along with the
rest of the colony, with a large permanently-evacuated bay to receive ships. As
the ships are drawn away from the axis of rotations, they gain "weight" enough
to bring them to rest against the inner wall of the block. There'd be enough
"gravity" to make maintenance easier, but not enough to make it even more
burdensome.

Launching back into space would even simpler. Instead of raising the ship back
up into the airless axis and shoving it back the way it came in, I'd "lower" it
out the "bottom" of the bay block and turn it loose, using the rotation of the
block as a catapult.

I can't take credit for that idea -- Tomino has escape pods launch from the
colony proper in this fashion in his Gundam novelizations.

-Z-