Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
23 Jun 2000 16:45:34 -0000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:34:58 -0700 Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Roland Thigpen wrote:
>
>AIC has also started doing alot of stupid digital panning effects like in "Sol Bianca the Screw jo--er Legacy."

I happen to like the new Sol Bianca. The old OAV was an interesting way to spend an hour (I haven't been able to get Sol Bianca 2 yet though), but I like the new series because it actually seems to have a bit of a story to tell rather than being just another flick about women pirates with a kick ass ship.

And I like the music too. Although I admit, sometimes the way they animated it doesn't grate on my eyes with that pan and scan.

>Silent Mobius tv has similar problems but since it was a little truer to the feeling of it's source material, I like it a bit better.

Never seen it.

>I haven't seen that much 2040 yet though, so I won't go so far as to say it sucks or anything I just get tired of people going on about "the great animation quality" in recent AIC shows. (Especially in comparison to originals.
>
>The darker story is interesting... I just hate the new Knight Sabers.

Go on and watch the rest of it. The story is great. Whether or not you like the characters is your choice. Personally, like I've said before I like all the Knight Sabers' new looks except Lina's, so I simply imagine her looking as she did before. And sometimes I even picture Nene with the short hair, but with it pink. It's easy enough to do, and eventually it becomes second nature.

BTW, what do you think of Priss's new appearance? I think it is a definate improvement over the original as I couldn't stand her hair in the OAV.

Oh, and one other way I can prove I'm a BGC fan: the wallpaper on my home computer is a pick of the Knight Sabers in the suits they wear under the power armor (I forget what they call them at the moment). But my screen saver is the Nerve logo from Evangelion and my office computer has a nice picture of Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War.

>> I have no doubt they have influenced mecha designers over the years. Doesn't stop me from finding them blocky, loud and entirely not to my tastes. I much prefer the retcons seen in later Gundam series.
>
>Not suprising with the tremendous talent of Mikimoto and Kawamoto in the OAVs.
>
>---Brett Jensen

Yeah, that probably has alot to do with it...

Roland