Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:21:43 +0800

At 15:19 06/22/2000 MST, Blackeagle wrote:
>You seem to be assuming the Federation didn't have anything planned in
>advance. While they seem to be very disorganized overall, I'd think they
>would have some plan in place for striking Side 3 in the event of war.

        Granted, the Federation could have something up their sleeves in
case of an attack by Zeon. My main point of contention is this: Zeon struck
simultaneously at Sides 1, 2, 4, 5 and Luna II, right after the declaration
of war; from all accounts, the action was quick and decisive, with massive
casualties for the Federation. For all intents and purposes, all the
attacked Sides were unable to retailiate in any form.

        That leaves Earth, the Moon and Sides 6 & 7. The Moon and Side 6
went neutral straight away, so they couldn't have launched an attack on Side
3. Since Side 7 has always been referred to as an underdeveloped research
colony, I doubt that there were nuclear missiles available for use at Side 7.

        That leaves Earth itself; while it is very possible that the
Federation force can launch a missile strike at Side 3 from Earh alone, the
number of missiles available for launch is debatable. After all, they were
at a peacetime footing for more than 20 years -- some habits are hard to break..

>A plan like that would make a lot of sense as deterrence. Basically, you
>start a war, we'll blow Side 3 to hell.

        Yes, but it can also backfire and accelerate the other side's desire
to go to war. Either way, a double-edged sword.

>I would hope that the colonies have some sort of plan for quickly plugging
>relatively small holes in the hull.

        Oh, they definitely have; -Z- mentioned birdlime before, but we
aren't talking about a *small* hole here. For a missile to be able to cover
the distance from any launch site to Side 3, they have to be relatively
large, right? And the missiles aren't guided, so the hole has to be large
for a decent chance that the chem/bio missiles will fly through them. All in
all, I have this feeling that a hole big enough for a chem/bio missile to
fly into the main cylinder would be a bigger problem than the chem/bio missile.

>The real question is, did they have them built ahead of time?

        Would you? Seriously, AFAIK missile designs tend to be relatively
simple; specialized missiles like you suggest -- built specifically to
overcome a specific defense -- are relatively rare. The Federation may have
built some, but the majority of the missiles shouldn't be such types.

>Not unguided missiles, inertially guided missiles. These can sense the
>acceleration when they are diverted from their course, then correct for it.

        As of currently, how accurate are they?

>Well, according to the Gundam Movies, enough to take out half of the Zeon
>population.
>Sounds like we're back where we started :-)

        Oh yes. =)

        The crux of the matter is exactly how many missiles it would take to
totally destroy a cylinder; not stick its mirrors open to bake the
inhabitants -- literally crack the cylinder open to kill eveybody inside.
That's the main way I can see Federation missile barrages being able to kill
half of Zeon's population. Anything else, and engineers can probably effect
temporary repairs or evacuate the cylinder.