Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
23 Jun 2000 15:06:13 -0000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:54:04 -0600 (MDT) Echo|Fox <echofox@wingzero.net> wrote:
>I've yet to see the original MSG, either in TV or movie form, so I'm not
>exactly sure how dated it's supposed to look (sue me ;p I don't own a VCR
>at my place, and I never could find them for rent when I was living with
>my parents). Certainly Zeta, which I have seen, isn't up to "modern"
>standards, but after you watch a few episodes of it you no longer notice
>the difference and just sit back and enjoy the show..

Agreed.

>However, from some pictures I've seen which seem to be screen grabs, MSG
>doesn't really look all that bad, just different. So for someone who's
>seen both, how does the animation compare to, say, Bubblegum Crisis (the
>original, not that horrible, horible mistake that is BGC2040. Nene has
>pink hair. PINK damnit.),

HEY!!!!!! I LIKE BGC Tokyo 2040. I could give a damn about Nene's hair color. It's the story that is important! And besides, I actually like the new character looks except for Lina. And Priss actually looks like I think she should now too.

And 2040 has an actual story to it, not something that was seemingly slapped together at the last minute. Yes, I know it was originally supposed to be much longer (like 6 more eps), and that Crash was supposed to finish off the main plot, but frankly, that plot sucked. Taken individually, they were ok (esp. Double Vision and Scoop Chase), but the overall plot really lacked that which BGC Tokyo 2040 has.

And remember, it was called Bubblegum Crisis because of Nene's hair. Well, alot of gum nowadays is the color that her hair is in Tokyo 2040 instead of pink. They are simply keeping up with the times.

Have you actually watched any of Tokyo 2040? The plot is really engrossing and the characters (even Lina and Nene) are actually given time to develop, unlike the OAV.

 which was made a few years later. It's often
>referred to as having dated animation, but it doesn't bother me in the
>slightest and I quite like its "feel" ... except for Priss's hair of
>course. Ugg. Concentrated evil, that is =)

You can tell that the original Gundam's character animations were made long before BGC, as were the mecha designs. The characters are more rounded, less finely lined, etc. Still, they are effective. There are of course a few exceptions to what I said (in Bright especially), but for the most part, IMO, this holds. What really gets to me is how the original Gundam and White Base look. I just don't like their appearances, but I still enjoy the story (although all I've seen of MSG is the movie compilations).

Plus, at least to me, some of the story is slow to develop the characters. This holds even in the movies, where I had some trouble sitting through the second one, simply because it seemed so much slower to me than the first and the third ones.

But that may just be me.

Roland