Brian (GoDofChicKens@cfl.rr.com)
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:39:22 -0700

Actually, I like the dated look of the original Gundam. I think it helps get
that "gritty" feel we all know and love. It just seems to make the story fit
so much better IMHO. I tried watching it with two of my friends, one
couldn't stand it and the other that it was great. If you don't want to
watch something because it is not up to today's visual standards, then you
will miss out on a lot of great shows and movies. Just my $.02
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Thigpen" <jenius@unspacy.org>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 4:44 AM
Subject: Re: [gundam] where to go from Gundam Win,g?

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:55:28 -0700 Edward Ju <gundam@loop.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Just one warning, the animation in the movie compilations (and the
series
> >>itself) is dated.
> >
> >I keep hearing about how "dated" the animation of the original Gundam
was,
> >but if you go back and rewatch the original TV series of Macross, I think
> >their animation quality is comparable (you'll be surprised at how memory
> >plays tricks with what you remembered about Robotech/Macross). In fact,
> >Macross is much worse when it comes to distortion of character faces and
> >color mismatching - at least during the early episodes.
> >
> >Eddie
>

> Actually, I agree. I never said that nothing else was dated, or that it
could not be enjoyable. Leiji Matsumoto's animation style is dated. That
doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Megazone 23 or the original BGC OAV could
be said to be dated. That doesn't stop me from liking them. To me, dated
simply means that it is an older type of animation style made prior to the
time in which many are now used to. Thus it seems different and maybe "old".