-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:00:53 -0700

Or Turn, Turn and a Half.

"To everything
(Turn, turn, turn)
There is a season
(Turn, turn, turn)
And a time
To every purpose
Under Heaven!"

> >If anyone goes with -X-, how will we know if it represents Gundam X or Turn-X
> >Gundam?
>
> As my friend Toshi Yoshida likes to point out, "Turn-X is _still_ an
> X!" The same would hold for Turn-O, I suppose...

I made that very same observation the first time Turn-X was mentioned on this
list.

And Turn-Z is still a Z, while Half-Turn-Z is an N.

Me, I'd like to see an Asterisk ("Called Star") Gundam. It would use the Dot
Com system to make other MS go splat. It would be upgraded to the Dagger and
then the Double Dagger, but they'd all just be footnotes in history. (And quite
a cite, I might add!)

When the Gundam breaks down, the hero says, "No way! I have no Asterisk
fighting...!"

> >I was under the impression that the Granada Treaty ratified and affirmed the
> >terms of the Antarctic Treaty, then extended it by recognizing the Zeon
> >Republic and adding such things as the Minovsky particle ban.
>
> It's certainly possible, but I don't recall reading anything along
> these lines. Where did you see/hear this?

Just my overall impression from way back when I first got into Z Gundam. It
may've been some fannish observation by Marg Baskin or John Teal or just a
synthesis of my own based on the fact that the same prohibitions were in place
after Granada as there had been after Antarctica.

> >Didn't anyone ever think to prohibit dropping things onto the Earth or Moon
> >from space?
>
> Well, colony drops were expressly prohibited by the Antarctic Treaty,
> for all that's worth...

I can just see Char now: "Asteroids! The Treaty doesn't say anything about
ASTEROIDS! Only COLONY drops are banned...!"

So the Titans broke about every ban in existence: nerve gas, colony drops,
Colony Laser, attack on neutrals ... everything but nukes and biologicals. Or
are enhanced humans and artificial Newtypes "biological weapons"?

> >Weren't those mines that Ma Kube launched in Texas colony also nukes?
>
> Not in the TV series; there, the big bang was the result of Ma Kube's
> Gyan blowing up. I guess when they cut the Gyan out of the Texas Colony
> in the movies, the writers felt they had to come up with some other
> explanation for the scale of the explosion. But a nuclear minefield
> inside a colony does raise a lot more questions than it answers... ;-)

Ah, so once again the movie compilation has introduced something into the
storyline that wasn't there in the original series. Thanks for the
clarification.

-Z-