Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:18:07 -0700

>At 09:32 06/22/2000 -0400, Chris Maier wrote:
>>however I have to disagree with the statement that the 0080 model kits
>>are'nt
>>quite as good as today's kits. Quite the opposite, in fact.
>
> In the first place, the 0080 kits were *never* HG. Big Opps on their
>part, I guess. 0080 were sort of mid-level between UG and HG; the Federation
>MSes were very well done, but most of the Zeon MSes left some things to be
>desired..

Although they were never HG, they did bear the characteristics of an HG kit
- snap fit and color-matched molding. I suspect the only reason they did
not get the HG label was because Bandai didn't come up with the concept
until 1990, when the first ever HG kit (1/144 scale RX-78-2) was released,
a year after the 0080 kits came out.

If you compare 0080 kits to today's HG kits, they are actually superior
in some aspects. Almost none of the HGUC kits came with translucent parts
for the visor plate or monoeye, except for the GunTank. On the other hand,
I am not too thrilled with how brittle the Zaku IIFz's plastic was, or how
floppy the joints are for the amphibious suits. The Gelgoog Jg was also
the most hated 0080 kit here a few years ago.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0