Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:57:39 +0800

At 10:36 06/22/2000 MST, Blackeagle wrote:
>Actually, this isn't the case. Put the missile in a highly elliptical orbit
>and you can arrange for it to approach L2 from any direction desired. Of
>course, this would take more fuel and considerably more time, but it would
>get the job done.

        Right, the "Sea of Sand" defense will probably work for "direct
trajectory" missiles, but again, you probably have to specifically design a
missile with the kind of fuel load you are talking about; whether the
Federation had that kind of missiles onhand is undeterminable.

        At any rate, in the first week of the OYW, could the Federation had
massed enough missiles to fire them at Side 3, either conventionally or in a
elliptical orbit? Possible, but I think the Federation was more preoccupied
with saving their own behinds during that week.

        The Zeon assault was very fast and hit very hard -- they struck
directly after the declaration of war in multiple Sides.

>Either nukes or chem/bio warheads. Bomb pumped X-Ray lasers would probably
>be a good choice as well, but we've never seen that tech in Gundam so it can
>probably be discounted.

        Are chem/bio warheads ideal? Follow me here -- first, the missile
have to pass through the cylinder wall in order to have the warheads deliver
the payload in an effective manner. But if you open a hole big enough for a
chem/bio missile to go through, well, chem/bio containmination isn't going
to be a major problem here, because the colonists first need to deal with
the escaping air.

>Well, it depends how big and heavily protected the missile is. The Feds
>could just slap a big hunk of DU on the front end and let the sand ablate it
>away.

        Again, specialized design, and I don't think it's a common design.
Could the Federation design or rebuild enough missiles in one week to make
it work?

>This depends on the missiles ability to reestablish it's course after being
>diverted.

        Unguided missiles, remember? Even with the possibility of a missile
basing it's coordinates with reference to some star pattern, it's more
likely that the missile will fly off into the black yonder..

>As I pointed out, missiles can be fired from any direction, so you'd need a
>full sphere.

        Maybe we don't need a full sphere? Honestly, in my idea, I just want
to cut the odds down to the point where a cylinder could survive the barrage
-- one or two missile strikes should be survivable for the cylinder. I don't
even supposed I could stop a hundred-missile salvo with this single layer of
defense; my main aim is to reduce the odds to a more acceptable level.

        The missiles would get through; the question is how many.

>Also, how do you propose to keep the sea of sand in one place?

        Good question. The answer is I don't know. Is it possible to
establish a sort of orbit around the Lagrange point such that the Sea(s)
always shift in conjunction with the Side, sort of like a "geo-stationary"
orbit around the Lagrange point? I seriously don't know.

        But it is possible to use Musai ships to "mine" and "de-mine" these
areas as they move in and out -- you can consider this a punishment detail,
or just something a Musai captain has been instructed to do on a regular basis.

>The Federation counter to a defensive system like this would probably be to
>launch a lot of missiles on different vectors, timed to arrive from all
>directions at the same time.

        Correct -- I don't envision this system being perfect; overwhelm it
with ordnance, and you can break through. The thing is this: I want the
enemy, in this case the Federation, to expend too much ordnance going
through one line of defenses that my later lines got a better chance of
handling it.

        Furthermore, this defense, in the context of what we are talking
about, need only to be active during the early phase of the OYW, where a
Federation retailation is most likely. After the Treaty, such attacks would
be a clear violation, and hence the threat might be lessen to a point where
such extensive defenses are unnecessary.