-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:40:31 -0700

Axis is basically just a rock, although there are caverns and tunnels all
through it, especially around the four giant rocket engines at what is nominally
the "stern" when Axis is being moved.

A spherical habitat called Mauser or Mowsa (depending on how strictly one
interprets the katakana) is literally strapped to the upper "prow" of Axis
proper by heavy cables. I've never seen a cutaway view of this, but I gather
that there's another sphere or possibly a squat cylinder inside that spins to
provide "gravity" for the occupants. Connection to Axis proper is through a
tube at the "bottom" of the sphere, indicating a vertical orientation, since
this tube would have to be the, ahem, axis of Mauser on Axis.

It's hard to gauge size here, but I'd venture that Mauser is about the size of a
Bernal sphere, so it would have to rotate at 2 RPM to give the inhabitants
Earth-normal gravity.

-Z-