Michael Wong x4241 (Michael.Wong@nsc.com)
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:53:00 -0700 (PDT)


Hey Jeff:

> Hi Michael,
> >
> > That's the thing, $15.00 for such a small Microman figure doesn't make sense
> > for me. I can buy a perfectly fine MG Zaku or Gundam or GM for that price in
> > Hong Kong and maybe still get some change. The PG Zaku is only around $60,
> > the MG Dom is only $26! I myself would rather get those kits than overpriced
> > Micro-Man figures.
>
> You can get MGs for those kind of prices??? I can see your point then!
> But... I have to say this.... It's all in what you collect. After paying big
> bucks for some of the vintage pieces, I don't mind paying $15.00 for one at
> all.

I agree with you, but the deal with vintage pieces is the historical value, I've
seen original vintage pieces going between $15 and $25. Re-issues do NOT have
the historical significance and they should not be sold for $15 no matter what
they say.

> At least with a Microman, you usually don't have to assemble anything. Don't
> get me wrong, I like building Gundams, but sometimes its real nice to just
> unpack a new figure, play with it, and then put it on your shelf.

You have a point there, I'll still take MGs over Microman figures simply because
of the larger size and because I already have 15 of them sitting around my cube
in different cool looking poses (including a very funny one of 3 Doms cutting up
an Austin Powers action figure!). I actually prefer the building of Gundam kits
than just opening up a figure that is already built, I think it makes me "bond"
with the kit rather than treat it as something to play with for a while and then
to be placed on the shelf.

> > My dream car is Lambourghini Diablo VT (94-99), don't like the headlights of
> > the 2000 version. I figured a used Diablo about 4 or 5 years from now would
> > cost around $90,000-$100.000 by then, which will be something I can probably
> > afford. I've made a promise to myself that I'm gonna get a V-12 car that
> > can go above 200 mph since I was a kid.
>
> Wow! Yo have VERY good (and expensive) taste in cars.
> The Diablos are indeed awesome. What the heck do you do that you could
> afford to drop that much on a car? (If you don't mind me asking.)

I am just a poor circuit design engineer working in Silicon Valley where every
thing is overpriced. I mainly do ASIC design work and some testing, the only
reason I can afford to drop that much on a car is I have given up all hope on
ever owning a house (really ugly houses here in the area go for $700,000 to
$800,000...) and since I will NEVER buy an apartment or townhouse, all my money
goes towards toys.

> Snipped my comments about cars...
>
> Yeah... the 355 takes a bit of getting used to. I tend to like the 348 much
> better myself too.

One of the reason I like 348 more is the door and the tail end, I wouldn't say
I like 348 MUCH better than 355, but I do prefer the 348. Which incidentally is
not really that expensive nowadays... a decent used one could be fetched for
around $60,000-$70,000.

> The F40 is very cool and the Countach is still a great looking car.

No argument here, the specs. for F40 is simply incredible, and Countach just has
that kick-ass look. Used Countachs were pretty cheap for a while but has gone
up in price a few months ago for some unknown reason. F40 has always been way
out of my budget though.

> The Mercedes CLK-GTR is cool, but not on my list of favorites.

I like the CLK-GTR a lot simply because it looks so UN-Mercedes, and give that
my family has pretty much been driving Mercedes all my life, I felt kind-of
obligated to include one in my favourite list.

> I don't really care for the McLaren either, but I think that has something
> to do with Formula 1. ;-)

Yeah, a million bucks for a car is insane, and the McLaren isn't a pretty car
like recent Lambos and most Ferraris.

> > So, what exotic sports cars do you like? My dad totalled my previous
> > semi-sports car and I am stuck with a sedan at the moment. I am too poor
> > to upgrade back to a sports car at the moment.
>
> I tend to be a classic car guy myself. I like allot of the modern cars you
> mentioned, but also like things like a Maseratti 3500, Bora, Ferrari 250SWB,
> Dino, 250 LM, Porsches of course (early 911s, 944), lots of British stuff
> like Aston Martin DB4s and Triumph TR4/5/6.

The Maseratti and Aston Martins are very nice, but I am not much of a fan of the
Lamborghini Dino. The Ferrari 250 is insanely expensive now! But isn't it
amazing how similar it's looks and design is to some current sports cars? The
early Porsches are all classics. I have never seen the Bora, and also do not
like Triumphs that much. As you can see, I am more of a fan of recent sports
car. I like the cars from late 80's to the late 90's the best. The newest
Ferrari 360 Modena, latest Lamborghini Diablo, upcoming Lamborhini Canto,
Porsche 996, Mercedes SLR are all a little too streamlined for my taste.

> Ohhh.... and of course my 1999 BMW M3 ranks high in my book.

M3 is a very nice car, much better than the ugly Z3 in my opinion. I am also
quite partial to the BMW 850 of the olden days (my love for V-12s!!) and the
new Z8.

> I haven't been able to afford the upper end, so I have had some pretty cheap
> sports cars (excluding the M3) like an MG midget, Toyota MR2, and a Porsche
> 944S.

How's your Porsche 944? My sister's fiancee used to have one too and he gave it
away to his cousin. I seem to recall that he always had trouble with the
battery running out or the transmission (could be that he is a bad driver).

> So far though... my M3 has been the best.

I used to know a girl who also drove an M3, she really liked it too.

> That's a switch isn't it???? Your Dad wrecking your car? :-)
> What kind of sports car did you have and what will get next?

As I said, I had a semi-sports car (i.e. not a real one). It was a 91 560 SEC
(the last year they made it!) Mercedes coupe, a pretty powerful and fast car in
my opinion. I drove it at 140 mph for about half an hour on I-5 once and it
was a surprisely smooth ride. The best thing about this car was I can close a
rear window shade to block the headlights of jerks who like to drive with high
beam at night. Currently I am driving a 95 S500 (again a Mercedes) with a lot
of toys, (i.e. 3 TV screens, Nav system, 2 mobile phones (one is of the hands
free variety, VCR, Sony Play Station, rear heated and adjustable seats, 12
speaker Alpine system with a very nice sub-woofer, and 2 additional AC power
slots for more toys in the future...). Apparently the only Mercedes with the
rear window shade are the real top of the line cars (i.e. S 600) and the S600
was too expensive for me. If I had the money for S600 I'd rather spend it on
either a Testarosa or Countach to satisfy my lust for V-12 (neither goes above
200mph, but a man gotta have a car).

> Jeff C

Michael

-
Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 05:54:00 JST