Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 02:28:05 +0800

At 20:21 06/20/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>I don't think the Sides had much love for either the Federation or the Zeon. I
>think they felt caught in the middle between two juggernauts with little regard
>for their safety.

        Juggernauts? The Federation might be a juggernaut due to its larger
population base, but Zeon is by no means a juggernaut. While it does have a
larger population base than other Sides by virture of its closed cylinder
types, it is a David vs. Goliath fight when you compare the pure military
numbers of Zeon vs. Federation. Had another Side went independent and
started building its military for a decade, it would probably come close to
matching Zeon's capabilities at the start of the OYW.

        The Federation is a juggernaut by virtue of the fact that it can
draw manpower and material from each aligned Side. If each Side went
independent, and refused to allow the Federation to draw from its Side, we
would end up with 8 roughly equvialent sides..

>Only the casualty figures and the references to the ferocity of the first week.

        I don't quite buy the 1/2 population figure -- 1/2 military maybe.
        Consider this: Zeon was on the offensive in the first week, managing
to wipe out whole fleets of Federation ships. The rest of the Federation
ships are more likely to be trying to stop the Zeon rampage, as Revil did at
Side 5, rather than launch a punitive attack on Side 3 proper.

        Launching a smart missile loaded with NBC weapons won't work for a
few reasons. Firstly, Minovsky particles make this form of attack very
inaccurate. Secondly, the Federation doesn't appear to have a base that
could strike at Side 3 directly; Granada was firmly in Zeon hands, and AFAIK
there was no other Federation base on the far side of the Moon. Thirdly,
Abowaku (A'Bao'A'Qu at High Frontier) was guarding Side 3 against a fleet
action against Side 3.

        All these combined with the fact that the Federation military
machine was still getting their butts into gear within the first week made
the possibility that a Federation attack wiping out half of Zeon's
population within the first week slightly unbelievable.

>Twenty years have passed since Zeon seceded, during which it managed to pull in
>the rest of Side 3 and build up a military on par with the much larger
>Federation, including new weapons that the Federation was still playing
>catch-up to match.

        In capability, perhaps -- but definitely not in numbers.

>Zeon strikes without warning, but the Federation, while caught off
>guard, is not unprepared in the sense of having no retaliatory capability.

        Granted that the Federation might have had the weapons necessary to
inflict that much damage to Zeon's population base, but as I pointed out,
could the Federation had gotten all these weapons to Side 3?

        Abowaku (A'Bao'A'Qu) was solidly in the way of any invading fleet;
that was the fortress' main purpose. A battle might have been fought here,
which may have depleted Zeon's military reserve, but again, we don't hear of
much Federation action beyond the Battle of Ruum within the first week.

>And neither side seems particular faithful to the Treaty when they think they
>can get away with it.

        I believe you are referring to Zeon's nuclear attack on Side 6 in
0080? I believe that someone else pointed out that Side 6 was not covered by
the Treaty and was free game for this kind of attack.

        Did the Federation ever break the Treaty during the OYW?

>Except that, with the Solar Ray, the Axis powers got "The Bomb" before the
>Allies did!

        And what did *that* get them? =)