Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:08:25 -0600 (MDT)

It all depends on what the best source they have available is.
When you see that a DVD has been "digitally remastered" it means they've
actually gone back to the original source and recreated everything using
digital technology wherever possible.
However, thats not always possible. For example, I picked up the Kurosawa
classic Yojimbo on DVD, but it was practically unwatchable. The source
they had was so degraded it just didn't look good ... I think they used
the best condition movie studio reel they could find, and it really showed
its age.
We might actually be lucky, though. The DVD's could be created from
Laserdisc source, which wouldn't be perfect, but would be acceptible, in
the case that the original source is unusable. That is assuming the MSG
LD's were of decent quality =)

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler