Edmund Chiu (edf91@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:13:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Simmons" <scorpio@best.com>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 12:20 PM
Subject: [gundam] F91 Afterimages (Was Re: Bio-Sensor)

> Okay, here's the scoop (as per assorted F91 reference books)...

    I thought they never really bother with the "after-image" thing....

> The after-images are generated as a byproduct of the Metal Peel-off
Effect
> (abbreviated MEPE), one of the F91's arsenal of heat-dissipating gimmicks.
> When it's running at peak performance, with the biocomputer enabled, the
F91
> has to use every means at its disposal to dump the excess heat. In
addition
> to the opening face vent and the pop-out radiator fins, it can actually
burn
> off the outer layers of its armor, shedding thin layers like a snake
> shedding its skin. These cast-off armor layers create the after-images
that
> so vexed Karoso Ronah.

    So F91 is really state of the art, then? Is the bio-computer really that
useful? They had to add a lot of stuff to F91 just so the thing won't
overheat....

> I'm actually working up a theory about mobile suit heat regulation. I
> suspect that the "limiter" to which we occasionally see cryptic references
> is a heat-regulating system that reins in the mobile suit's performance to
> prevent overheating. When the pilot turns off the limiter, they can crank
up
> the power for a limited time but must keep an eye on the heat buildup lest
> they screw up the mobile suit. (Kind of like how ace pilots sometimes turn
> off the AMBAC auto-balancing system so they can engage in wacky unbalanced
> manuevers.)

    I never really thought about it, but it make sense. Maybe that's why the
bio sensor in Zeta was "used" so sparingly ^_^

> This would explain the "Max Power" mode Shiro engages in 08th MS Team,
and
> the short operating time of the Blue Destiny when it's running the EXAM
> system. But so far, I haven't found any written explanation of the limiter
> system, so this is still just speculation.

    It make sense, but I guess that Tomino had never even thought about
something like that, so people just let it be. How long can EXAM run, btw?