Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:39:30 -0600 (MDT)

> That would be cool. I've got eps. 1-11 on tape (I'd buy it on DVD though)
> and Miller's Report would be a great bonus.

Likewise. I've seen virtually all of the Gundam I've seen (Z, ZZ, CCA,
08th, X, Wing, Turn A) fansubbed (only 0080 and 0083 were studio
releases), some of which I have copies of, but you'd better believe I'll
drop the cash for DVD's in a second. I really don't like VHS ... the whole
idea of it wearing out really bugs me, so I have absolutely no qualms
about laying out the $$$ for any Gundam I can get my hands on.

> Well, we all want the max number of eps. per disk, but Bandai's got to sell
> enough disks to make money. It's a fine line to walk.

Very true. Most anime DVD's are about 21$ in actual stores (list price
being anywhere from 25 to 35$) with anywhere from 3 to 5 episodes per
disc. From what I heard, Outlaw star will have 9 episodes per disc (8 on
the third, since there are only 26 eps), priced at about 45$ per disc. So
really, the price works out to be about the same as doing 4 or 5 episodes
per disc, but the real beneft being you get the whole series in 6 months,
assuming a bimonthly DVD release, versus a year or more (gah!@# middle of
next year before the last trigun dvd is released). Then again, look at
what they're doing with the Kenshin DVD's ... 5 episodes per DVD, one DVD
released every 2 weeks (last I heard anyway). Very helpful when its a 96
ep TV series =) Still gonna take the better part of a year for the whole
she-bang to be released though.

> I wonder if they'll show Zeta (or whatever they do next) on TV? (presumably
> it'd be on CN)

I'd be surprised if they didn't. ratings seem good, merchandise is flying
off the shelves, so they need to keep interest up while its at its peak,
and since theycan't just produce a new season since the show is
effectively over, they just pull the next one off the shelf and release it
over here =)

> The original series would definitely be a risk. One possibility would be to
> release it sub only for hardcore fans. It seems like that would have a much
> lower front end cost for Bandai, thus reducing the risk.

Highlt likely. Either a sub-VHS and sub-DVD release, or possibly only a
sub DVD release .. thanks to DVD subtitling, the upfront cost would be
quite low, and DVD's are much cheaper to produce than VHS...

> I happened to like the characters (but that's just me). I agree with you
> that the Gundam X is the most interesting MS. It manages to look cool and
> have a fairly unique design. After fifteen years of Gundam shows that's a
> pretty sizable accomplishment.

Yeh, everyone has different opinions. For me, the characters just irked me
... but life goes on. The X was a cool gundam though, and one of the more
memorably designs in recent memory.

> We're all assuming that 'X' would be more accessable to Wing fans, since it
> is the only story in it's universe. I'm not really sure that's the case.
> It's certanly more standalone than Zeta. However, when any UC Gundam fan
> hears the brief description of the war in the first episode, they'll
> instantly make make the connection to the OYW. New Gundam fans (or fans
> with only Wing experience) won't be able to make that connection. It may
> just be a matter of some more exposition in certain spots, but it's
> something to be considered.

I never really thought about it like that, actually. With a little dubbed
exposition at the start of Zeta explaining the setup of the war it could
work... Zeta is probably the best option for Bandai right now. Loads of
merchandise already out there, ready to be brought here, lots of MS's to
give the kids stuff to buy, and they just might gain some moer "adult"
viewers. Compare that to X which was a notable flop, which has a more
limited marketing potential... Plus they're going to run out of alternate
universes pretty quick, so Bandai might consider giving us UC now to try
and spark interest in that. MSG/Z/ZZ/V is certainly a bigger property than
any alternate continuity..