Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:19:36 MST

>On 20 Jun 2000, Roland Thigpen wrote:
>
> > I recently sent off an email to Anime Village asking some questions
>about their DVD and Gundam releases and found out a few things.
> >
> > 1) 08th MS Team will definately be on DVD when it is released next year.
> >
>Excellent news. 08th is by far and away my favorite OVA, and a nice DVD
>treatment would be very cool. I wonder if they'll release Miller's report
>along with it..

That would be cool. I've got eps. 1-11 on tape (I'd buy it on DVD though)
and Miller's Report would be a great bonus.

SNIP

> > 3) I asked what the next Gundam series to be released would be, listing
>several including Zeta, X, MSG, and CCA and F91, and he (Christopher Marsh)
>said it "most likely would be" Zeta or Gundam X. Personally, I'd love to
>see either, but would probably lean my hopes more towards Zeta.
> >
>Zeta! Zeta! Zeta! Wooooooooooooo! I just hope they go the same route as
>wing and give us 5 episodes per DVD, anything less would be nuts, with
>that many episodes. Or ... maybe they'll go the Outlaw Star route and do 8
>or 9 per DVD ... the technology is certainly there to do it. Perhaps if OS
>sells well in that format, we'll start to see more series released like
>this.

Well, we all want the max number of eps. per disk, but Bandai's got to sell
enough disks to make money. It's a fine line to walk.

I wonder if they'll show Zeta (or whatever they do next) on TV? (presumably
it'd be on CN)

>As for the others, I can't see them doing CCA as its quite bewildering
>without having seen, or at least understanding, MSG, and Z.
>MSG on DVD could go either way ... of course all of us Gundam fans will
>buy it, but how would it do on the open market? Possibly really well,
>possibly entirely awful. Only time will tell.

The original series would definitely be a risk. One possibility would be to
release it sub only for hardcore fans. It seems like that would have a much
lower front end cost for Bandai, thus reducing the risk.

>Gundam X has a very good chance of appearing though, but I'm decidedly
>indifferent. I never really cared for the show ... considering the power
>of Gundam has always been its characters, I find it really unforgivable to
>have bad (in my opinion, anyway) characters. I really didn't form any
>emotional attatchment to anyone in X, which really hurt my enjoyment of
>the show... But regardles of my feelings on it, its the most easily
>accesibly for the "Wing Generation" with its flash MS's (another point,
>the actual Gundam X was really the only MS I liked in the series), and
>independent story.

I happened to like the characters (but that's just me). I agree with you
that the Gundam X is the most interesting MS. It manages to look cool and
have a fairly unique design. After fifteen years of Gundam shows that's a
pretty sizable accomplishment.

We're all assuming that 'X' would be more accessable to Wing fans, since it
is the only story in it's universe. I'm not really sure that's the case.
It's certanly more standalone than Zeta. However, when any UC Gundam fan
hears the brief description of the war in the first episode, they'll
instantly make make the connection to the OYW. New Gundam fans (or fans
with only Wing experience) won't be able to make that connection. It may
just be a matter of some more exposition in certain spots, but it's
something to be considered.