Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:59:27 -0700

Edmund Chiu writes,

> Newtypes are pretty scarce to the "higher up" people, but they are
> pretty much everywhere in ZZ.

  Not on the Neo Zeon side - that's why they're trying to develop
quasi-psycommu mobile suits for their non-newtype pilots (the Hamma Hamma
being an unsuccesful example, and the Doven Wolf a successful one). The only
true psycommu mobile suits the Neo Zeons field are the Qubeley series, the
Quin Mantha, and the Geymarck. Aside from the original Qubeley (piloted by
Hamaan herself) and the Geymarck (piloted by Chara Soon, after she undergoes
the artificial newtype process), these are all piloted by Puru clones.

  Most of the ZZ heroes seem to have some degree of newtype capability, but
not on the level of Camille, Amuro, or Judo.

> But I think that Char and company probably send some of the information
> they found on Mk-II to Anaheim right after they got it. It's probably what
> finally let them to finish Type 100....

  Could be. "E-mail from Astonage - he's got a hot tip on that ankle-joint
problem you're struggling with!"

>> Well, it does allow Scirocco to do newtype power-ups and engage in
>> psychic standoffs with Hamaan. :-)
>
> Probably not, since it's just NT-to-NT fighting, nothing physical (I
> believe Reccoa mention something about not seeing them doing anything or
> something like that).

  Sure, but the psycommu hardware probably helps with the brain-fighting
too, since it provides a conduit for newtypes to communicate with each other
as well as with their own mobile suits and funnels.

> I don't see Judo doing anything when Lina was "killed" ^_^ It does seems
> that Bio-sensor is more like an useless accessories than something really
> useful....

  Can you say "plot device"? :-)

> I wonder why there never was any NT only MS, besides that "thing" Iron
> Mask piloted after the Char's Counterattack era - Maybe it's because the
> Newtypes disappeared, since I remember people almost refer to Newtype like
> something in a legend....

  The Zanneck and Gengaozo from V Gundam use a psycommu system to control
their support mecha. In the V Gundam novels, Tomino explicity states that
Fara Griffon has been turned into an artificial newtype so that she can use
these mobile suits.

  There are also a couple of newtype mobile armors in Crossbone Gundam (e.g.
the Elefante), though they're not used by the main characters.

-- Mark