Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
19 Jun 2000 11:55:54 -0000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:31:49 +1000 Andrew Dynon <ajdynon@students.latrobe.edu.au> wrote:
>At 01:39 AM 6/17/00 EDT, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 6/16/00 10:23:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>>henwee@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>>> <why
>>> can't they just read the damned english subtitles...>
>>>
>>Because 99% of the populace suffer from retardation unfortunately.
>>
>I remember a comment made on the dubbing of Roberto Benini's "Life is
>Beautiful" for American release after it had won two Oscars:
>
>"Most Americans dislike subtitles. If they wanted to read, they would have
>gotten an education."

Hmm, well, I know I'm just one case, and you aren't talking about everyone, just quoting, but....

I read on average at least 1 to 3 (or more) books a week. Yet, most times I can't stand watching subtitled anime.

Why? As I said before, I miss too much trying to read the subtitles, get the gist of what is being said and still catch what is happening in the anime itself with only one showing. To really fully understand a subbed anime, you have to watch it like 3 times: 2 to fully grasp some of the subtitles and the story they tall, and once to catch what is happening in the animation.

I usually don't have time to do that for alot of the anime I have. Let me put it this way: When I first saw 0080, I completely missed the fact that the ship carrying the nuke to attack the colony had been captured before it could launch. When did I see this? When I saw the dub. Why did I miss it? Because I missed it in the subtitles because I was trying to catch everything. I also missed alot only watching the Ghost in the Shell sub before I got a dub of it.

I'm not saying this is true of every sub, but it is (to me at least) for enough of them, that I don't like chancing it.

Roland