Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
18 Jun 2000 12:56:28 -0000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:03:32 MST Blackeagle <cdupchurch@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Blackeagle wrote:

>>I've only really ever seen 2 dubs that were worth watching; gundam W
>>(Inferior
>>to the original but still quite good) and Cowboy Bebop which I honestly
>>think
>>is as good as the original.
>
>There's very little stuff that I've seen both dubbed and subbed, I can't
>really compare very many. However, juding purely by the dub, I'd say the
>dubs of Evangelion, Macross Plus and Princess Mononoke are pretty good.

I've seen both the dubs and subs for several series. I'd say that the dubs compare well to the originals for Slayers, Record of Lodoss War (the OVA, not as much the tv series), 0083, 0080, Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel, Dirty Pair Flash, Dirty Pair, Sol Bianca, Burn Up!, My Youth in Arcadia, Evangelion, Macross Plus, Dominion Tank Police.

Additionally, although overall I prefer the subs of these to the dubs, the following do have some voices that are comparable in both versions: Fushigi Yuugi, Nadesico, Gundam Wing.

I know several people will disagree with what I just said, but those are my opinions.

As with many, the primary reason I like dubs more than subs is that subs require too much attention to get the full impact. You have to read the text to get the lines, you have to watch the animation to get the context and you have to really study the background to catch some of those subtle things that tell you what is really going on in some. Sometimes, it just isn't worth the effort.

*snip*
>Bilingual DVD is the way to go.

I have to agree here. Which is why if I know something is coming out on DVD, I wait for that. Plus, they are easier to take care of, and I don't have to worry about them degrading. It's one of the reasons I haven't bought the commercial Escaflowne series yet. They've told me it was going to be released on DVD. Same thing with the rest of Cowboy Bebop and BS6.

Anyone know if Brain Powered is going to be released on DVD?

Roland