Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:57:53 +0800

>I've been keeping an eye on this project for a long time (ever since it's
>existence first came to my attention under the name Planet Ice). I went
>into this movie with very mixed expectations. On one hand, I really hoped
>I'd finally get to see an american attempt at a reasonably serious animated
>SF film. On the other hand, I've been burned by my expectations of american
>animation before.

I was actually impressed by the fact that it started out as a low key
affair....but damn, the popularity snowballed.

>How good was it? Well, Titan A.E. falls into a couple of categories, so it
>really depends what you compare it too.
>Titan as a SF action movie:
>Titan compares very well with most live action hollywood SF. I'd put it up
>there with the first two Alien flicks, the Terminator movies, Predator, etc.
> It's no 2001, but it's miles ahead of junk like Independence Day and
>Godzilla (blech).

Actually, I put it up above those movies. it felt like a classic SF story,
from the really old 1950's stuff, yet modernized for a better feel. I was
totally impressed by the storytelling style.

>Titan as an American animated movie:
>Here also, Titan stands up pretty well. It's comparable with the best stuff
>that's come out in recent years (Toy Story, Antz, Iron Giant, etc.) and it's
>loads better than anything Disney has produced recently.

Aye, I have to agree on this. It's no wonder that it's touted as one of
the best cartoon movies to come out in years.

>Titan vs. Anime
>Well, it's not in the same league as Memories, Macross Plus or 0080. That
>said, it's much closer in spirit to anime than anything else that's come out
>of hollywood.

AND, it has made japanese anime people sit up and take note. it's very
different from what they do in some aspects, and it's precisely these
aspects which may prove to be the difference...or the point of adaption.

>The character design was good. The character design style is actually
>further from anime than recent Disney movies. It seems closer to the Batman
>animated series with some classic Disney and modern comic book touches than
>anything else.

The character designs actually remind me a bit of the cclassic disney
movies and some of the old cartoons I've seen.

>The plot isn't that deep, nor that original, but it stands up pretty well.
>If I didn't like the overall movie as much, I could accuse the screenwriters
>of pillaging a dozen different SF films (they lifted the ending right out of
>one of the Star Trek movies) but I thought the movie carried it off. While
>many of these elements have been seen before, Titan puts them together in
>new and interesting ways. Nothing seems forced to fit where it doesn't
>belong. The movie's play on the old 'let's dress up and sneak past the
>guards routine' is pretty funny.

Yup. it felt like Yamato plus Wrath of Khan.

I am NOT a starving writer.

Richard "Richie" Ramos
Associate Editor

www.localvibe.com