Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 03:06:16 -0700

On 17 Jun 00, at 2:53, core@gundam.com wrotf:

> > Also, you have to remember, I belong to the school of Gundam fan
> > that believe that if human can live on Moon, Space, Mars, and
> > Jupitor, a nuclear winter on Earth just equalize the condition
> > across Earth sphere. The Earth's surface will be no colder than
> > what's around the space colony. The radiation is no worse. The
> > food is supplied from Spacenoid anyway, so that will not change.
> > The energy? H^3 fusion reactor. There is no good reason why Moon
> > City style structure can not be constructed on Earth. Earthnoid
> > will just have to endure what Spacenoid had been forced to
> > experienced for generations, by Earthnoid.

> So Daikun believed that humans should go to space. But there are two
> possible ways to interpret that right? One version goes, the hash
> space will make people better, so everyone should go. The other
> version goes, if you want to stay, you can vegetate all you want, but
> don't try to rule over me.
>
> "Equalizing conditions across Earth Sphere" by winterizing Earth is
> rather different from "allowed to return to its natural state". Maybe
> Char has forgotten his father's dream?

By forcing Earthnoid to adopt the Spacenoid lifestyle will reduce the
human impact on the Enviornments, throughs allows the eventual
return to the nature state. Of course, if there are Earthnoids who
moved to Space because of that, than its also the desirable result.
The event described in Issac Asimov's "Caves of Steel" Triology fit
my vision in this pretty well. Hathaway has his own twist in reading
Daikun and extend the reason futher, that Human are done with the
Earth, its time for Human to leave its cradle, move to next stage and
let Earth to nuture something else. If you read Daikun's teaching
that way, and I am not saying Hathaway and Char's idea are the
same, than such "reset" is not in conflict with Daikun's teaching.

> The other great exemple of "equalizing conditions" was when Chairman
> Mao decided that the quickest solution to inequality was to destroy
> the wealth and comfort of the elite class.

Or redistributed wealth and comfort to the new elite class. Which is
unlikely under Char's scheme.

> I guess that's why I see CCA so differently from everyone else.
> Growing up under the shadows of Communism, I thought right away Char's
> plan was so ridiculous and everything just fall apart from that point
> on... E.g. I really couldn't see how it fits any "sense of justice" in
> Quess, when she chose the greater of two evils. Hence my very low
> judgement on her.

The way I see it, her background from Earth, and her agreement
with Char's judgement of people on Earth, is to show that is not an
oneside view from Spacenoids. She was there, she knew those
people, she knew how it was like. Not some Spacenoids, noses
pressed againist glass, looking in from outside. That and her sense
of justice explains why she changed side so rapidly.

> > I do not see it that way. After all, Char never mentioned the
> > Earthnoid as weak or sick.
>
> Living in the comfort of air, warmth, abundant food, clean water, low
> radiation, and refuse to endure the hash life in space. That's the
> weakness. The phrase Spacenoids like to use is "their souls are
> trapped by the gravity well".

I don't believe Char proclaimed "living in the comfort of air, warmth,
abundant food, clean water, low radiation" is a sign of Earthnoids'
weakness. It's fine to put word in his mouth by reading his
statements your way. But I don't find much support for such
reading.

> > To me, it's the matter on how do you stop people from wrong doing
> > and oppress others. Same way as Bright "correct" Amuro. Everyone
> > "correct" Camille. etc. Char was attempting to "correct"
> > Earthnoids. Both Char and Amuro agree that what Earthnoid was doing
> > was wrong. The disagreement is on how to correct it, or can people
> > reform themselve without outside force.
>
> Both Amuro and Camille (and Usso) were corrected by outside forces
> (usually in form of a fist, or solitary confinement). But a black eye
> will heal itself, no one ever think about correcting Amuro by cutting
> off his legs, or correcting Usso by scorching Kasarelia. That's not
> punishment, that's petty vengeance.

If the Federation react fast enough and evacuate the impact point,
then Char's plan doesn't need to result in excessive mass fatality.
The only negative consquence that can't handle by the technology
they have is the direct kinetic impact.

> > Char: So am I a sacrifice?
> > Amuro: Maybe it's in your family
>
> If Char choose to be the sacrifice, it's heroism, if Char decide
> someone else is the sacrifice, it's monstrosity. Char's figured out
> family tradition is not such a sweet deal after all.

But I think those quote shows the misconception many have about
Char. His view didn't change much from Zeta, nor did Amuro's.
Both agree people have to be removed from Earth, with sacrifice if
necessary. As for the sacrifice of others, that's where the Moses
analogy came in. He tried to gain freedom for his people
peacefully. But he is not about to continuing sacrifice their freedom
as a price to maintain peace.

Jim Huang