Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:16:52 MST

>Hi Blackeagle:
> > SNIP
> >
> > >Come on, not all american animation are bad. Fritz the Cat and Sout
>Park
> > >were both excellent.
> >
> > I didn't state it explicitly in that particular instance, but all my
> > comparisoms to american animation were to theatrical releases, not TV
>fare.
>
>Fritz the Cat and South Park are both theatrical releases, though neither
>are

You're right. It's just hard to think of things like South Park (or for that
matter, the X files movie) as anything more than extended TV episodes.

>SF. If the Transformer movie can be counted as Sci Fi, that is pretty good
>in
>it's own right. Even without all the fancy CGI special effects. The guy
>who
>did Fritz the Cat also did Heavy Traffic, Wizards, Lord of the Rings,
>American
>Pop, Fire and Ice, & Cool World. He is called Ralph Bakshi and also did
>the
>some of the original Spider-Man TV cartons. He's not bad, and his
>animation
>usually has a lot of sexual contents and a healthy dose of realistic
>violence.
>Check him out!

Ugh! You really shouldn't have mentioned the name Ralph Bakshi or the
animated Lord of the Rings adaption. If you just mentioned the other stuff
I might have gone and checked it out, but bringing his LOTR adaption to my
mind totally turns me off. I think it's a terrible travesty of one of my
all time favorite books. One of the reason I'm so looking forward to the
upcoming LOTR movie trilogy is that it will hopefully expunge the memory of
the horrible Bakshi version from my mind.

> > SNIPPAGE of my own stuff...
> >
> > I think part of the reason I have Indpendence Day so much is that I saw
>it
> > about a month after reading the novel 'Footfall' for the first time.
>Since
> > Footfall is probably the best alien invasion story ever written, seeing
> > Independence Day so soon after just drove home the shortage of good,
>smart
> > SF in American movies.
>
>Actually Independence Day was a pretty bad film, but I really enjoyed it
>even
>with all the plot holes and SF inaccuracy. It's a Summer flick that
>managed
>to be entertaining, which is much more than I can say about snooze fests
>like
>U-571, Airforce 1, Con-Air...
>
> > Massive Snippage
> >
> > Well, I don't count Toy Story as Disney, I think of it as a Pixar film.
>
>Okay, in that case Disney does suck. Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, and Dinosaur
>are all pretty bad. But Dinosaur does look gorgeous. I am thinking of
>going
>to watch Fantasia 2000 (proper pronunciation is Fan-Tah-See-Ah, according
>my pipe organ teacher), maybe it would buck the trend and actually be worth
>watching.

Fantasia 2000 is the only recent Disney film that really goes back to the
spirit of their early movies.

SNIP

> > BTW they played the Mission Impossible themed Chicken Run trailer before
> > Titan A.E. It's totally the opposite direction from anime, but it looks
> > hillarious!
>
>My boss went to a free preview showing of Chicken Run yesterday (while I am
>watching my free Titan A.E. showing), and supposedly it was good. I really
>liked Aardman's Wallace and Gromit shorts, but find the Chickens incredibly
>annoying in Chickent Run for some reason. For some really awesome
>jawdropping
>stop motion animation, go rent some Vladmir Starevic stuff, they are great!

I guess I don't have the same reaction to claymation chickens that you do.