Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:16:31 -0700

Blackeagle wrote:

> I think part of the reason I have Indpendence Day so much is that I saw it
> about a month after reading the novel 'Footfall' for the first time. Since
> Footfall is probably the best alien invasion story ever written, seeing
> Independence Day so soon after just drove home the shortage of good, smart
> SF in American movies.

Have you read the Striking The Balance (not sure if that's the name) series
from Turtledove? Set in WWII, very good. And sort of funny, in a way.
Anyway, ID4 was an homage to old '50s alien invasion movies, wasn't it? It was
supposed to be simple and just action. If you can send a computer virus up to
an alien system with your Mac or whatever it was, then don't expect to believe
anything else going on in that movie.

> Well, I don't count Toy Story as Disney, I think of it as a Pixar film.

True. Disney's input was minimal.

Alfred.