Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:45:22 -0700

>One thing I don't understand about American culture is the need to extend a
>series (and make a sequel out of everything) indefinitely until it turns
>stale
>and spoil the memories. I prefer the Japanese way in which when a story ends,
>that's it. No sequels, nada. Witness Dr. Slump, a hilarious manga that ended
>with just 18 volumes. Even for stuff that dragged along forever like Drag-On
>Ball has a definitive ending. Of course, the same can not be said for the
>Jojo
>Bizarre adventures and the Police Station series, but those manga SUCK anyway.
>Most Japanese authors realizes it when their series turn stale and have
>the good
>sense of ending it before it becomes much worse (e.g. Ranma 1/2, Fists of
>North
>Star, Fushigi Yuuji, City Hunter, etc.), not so for American ones (e.g. X-Men,
>Superman, batman, Star Drek). At least for Gundam they start with fresh sets
>of characters.

Of course, if you turn around and look at what's been going on in videogames,
most new titles are nothing but sequels - Biohazard 2, 3, CV... Street Fighter
ad nauseam... the further adventures of Mario and Sonic... King of Fighters
of the year...

I think it only boils down to who has control over the property. Most of the
examples you cited started out as manga, where the original creator has
more control than the work-for-hire staff working for a big corporation.
When the manga artist has been dealing with the same characters for a long
time, it comes to a point where they can't take it anymore and had to end
it all and start with a new story and new characters. With corporate-owned
properties like Gundam, all they need to do is to hire fresh blood when
the original staff/creator burns out.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0