-V- (vsze@wwdg.com)
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:42:21 -0700

Yeah, First Grades are great to practice with. They are ALMOST exactly the same as the old 1980 kits but they have polycaps now. And it's snap on instead of glue-together. The proportions have also been "upgraded" but the movement degrees are really low. Tons of modifications can be used. The good thing, the price!! They are dirt cheap (cheaper than a weekly Jump comic book!!!). So grab a couple and start playing around. As for modifications, it may sound expensive, but seriously, DO NOT LEARN HOW TO MODIFY ON A 1/144 KIT. Usually 1/100 is a decent size to start off. But if you want to practice, start off with a 1/60 or 1/72 kit since it's larger. Start with taOOya plastic sheets and knives etc... before you start vacuum forming <-- very expensive too.

-V-
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Maier
  To: gundam@aeug.org
  Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 5:39 AM
  Subject: [gundam] "First Grade" series

  I've been thinking of using my own color schemes for Gundams, yet I don't want to get a $40 kit to screw it up by painting it. Are the first grade kits good if one wants to practice painting models? I've heard that they are actually not molded in color. What I'd like to do is find a cheap and easy way to practice customizing model kits, and from what I've seen in terms of price and what the kits are, the FG series would seem to be the way to go. Anybody know how good the parts seperation is, or if these are good kits for customizing?
  BTW if you're interested here are some color schemes I'd like to put on to spice up the old RX-78.
  All grey and black Titans version
  Gundam Mark II colors(Black chest)
  GM-style colors(Red chest, white core block)
  "Reversed" colors(Red chest, blue core block)
  "The Way Tomino wanted it but the toy companies would'nt allow it" colors(Mostly white)
   Zaku-style colors(Green, black)
   Brooks Gundam(The Gundam I saw in the Boston Globe advertisement...anyone remember that?)-mostly green
   Flare Gundam-The semi-star of a fanfic I'm working on. Most of the red and yellow bits on RX-78 are replaced with dark orange.