Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:23:43 -0700

Mark Simmons wrote:

> you'd be more likely to see crap
> like Ehrgeiz than a genuine "renaissance."

Perish the thought. I picked up the first 5 LDs for between $5 and $9, and I
paid too much. ^_^ uuuugggghhh.

> You could cite, say Shoji Kawamori and the Gainax gang as
> counter-examples. Kawamori started off as a mega Gundam fan, then made the
> pro jump with Macross and has matured into a great artist (cf Escaflowne,
> Kenji's Spring). But Macross was just a couple of years after Gundam, so
> Kawamori was more of a participant in the first wave than a second-gen
> imitator.

Yeah, but Gainax deffinately holds up as a very creative 2nd-gen group.

> * Second, the real robot genre is played out. After Votoms, Patlabor, et al,
> what's left to do with the concept? Anything you do is just going to look
> like a ripoff of an earlier show.

I don't buy that. It's rather like saying after Star Wars, no one should create
Space opera. The Real robot is just a prop which can be used an infinite number
of ways within a story.

> P.S. I'd cite Brain Powered as the one truly original take on the real
> robot concept of the last few years... not just doing the "organic mecha"
> thing, but making them actual characters, whose own intergenerational
> conflict parallels that of the human cast.

Well, that concept was already touched on in Nagano's Five Star Stories manga.

---Brett Jensen