Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:31:04 -0700

> Anybody read about this thing and why it costs so much($100)? Is it
>related to the Chogokin Die-cast toys, which are also pretty expensive(But
>not quite as expensive?)

Executive summary: an overpriced piece of badly designed toy marketed towards
chogokin collectors. Looks great in its styrofoam box, but is not toy-player
friendly compared to the Kado Senshi super posable toys.

I think for your money, the Kado Senshi chogokin toys are a better buy.
They are solid, pose extremely well, and can survive most falls from your
shelves/desks/whatever. Not so with the New Material Turn-A, unless diecast
to plastic ratio is all that you care for.

Here's a repost of my first impressions posted a few months ago (slightly
modified to tone down the dissastisfaction factor when it was written):

It feels like a glorified diecast upgrade of the crappy MSiA figure. The
much higher pricetag it carries (compared to the chogokin Gundam and Zaku II)
can be attributed directly to the higher count of diecast parts (the chogokin
Gundam & Zaku II were mostly plastic) and a larger size - but the box gives
no scale.

The New Material Model of Turn-A claims to be a "faithful reproduction" based
on Syd Mead's designs (Syd's sketches of body limbs is reprinted next to the
photo of the toy's corresponding limbs in the manual), and if that claim was
true, then the design truly sucks rocks. I have a HUGE problem with the
Turn-A's shoulder armor. It was designed like the shoulder pads from an
American football player's uniform in that the shoulder armor does not really
swivel along with the arm. But the real pain in the ass was how the rear
piece of the shoulder armor keeps popping off the hinge and breaking off -
this will annoy you to no end if you play with it or try to pose it at all,
as you will be constantly in fear of breaking the toy because there are so
many parts that just felt extremely fragile because of the way they are
attached to the body. The side skirt armor also looked realy weak at the
joint, it probably will not survive a fall.

The fins that look like Swiss Army knife on the back of its legs are really
just a ripoff of the 1/60 scale F-91 - you can snap them into the leg's
housing, and pop them back out by depressing the feet. They simply replaced
the F-91's leg fins with the Swiss Army knife fins. Mechanically they work
the same way. Been there, done that.

The beam rifle really sucks. Although it's more detailed than the MSiA's
rifle, and you can even turn the knob hidden inside the sliding housing
at the back (big whooping deal), the damned sliding housing KEPT FALLING OFF
THE BEAM RIFLE. At least the MSiA's rifle didn't have this kind of problem.
The beam rifle's handle is also very small, given the size of the rifle you
have to wonder if the handle will eventually break due to the enourmous mass
it must endure.

The chest bay assembly was cool until I started to play with it. There
are 2 removable pods like the ones you see on the GP-03 Orchis platform, but
they are extremely hard to remove once you slap them into the Turn A's chest.
My hands are relatively small, but even with long nails it took me quite a
while to get them out. It will be a feat to do this without chipping off
any paint, too.

The beam sabers are extremely thin and long compared to the chogokin
Gundam's and most gunplas. More pieces to worry about breaking.

The flying penis cockpit does pop off and transform, but there are no
polycaps in the connecting parts, so it looks like wear and tear will
eventually kick in and make your Turn-A a castrated white doll.

Last but not least - 2 sets of hands instead of 4 like the chogokin toys
give ya!

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0