Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:22:05 +0800

At 10:54 06/14/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>> The 1GHz chip from Intel is out?
>Dell got them first, under a Preferred Customer/Most Favored Nation type deal
>with Intel.

        How's the performance? I heard the AMD 1 GHz chip wasn't quite worth
it. How's the Intel chip?

>Correct. Spinning the farmsats introduces another complication, though. The
>produce must now be lifted half a kilometer from the inner hull to the hub.
>Unlike the colony proper, this is up a perfectly vertical face, not a curved
>incline, against a full gee for at least a third of the ascent.

        It's not too difficult a problem to overcome. Either just create a
incline at some point for produce to be moved into the hub, or just have
lifts that can handle the load.

>The reference to freeze-drying was a joke, son.

        I know. (^_^)

>Well, of course, the restroom trip isn't required, as all human waste products
>can be treated and used as fertilizer. And where do you think the coffee comes
>from?

        Direct application of fertilizer? (^_^). The "cup of coffee"
reference wasn't literally meant to be a cup of coffee. It could be
biscuits, cold drinks, etc. Chances are, there will be some small pantry for
the workers to snack from.

>You could convert retired space shuttles into "barns" for the farmsats, just as
>settlers converted boats into barns and even houses a few hundred years ago.

        Nice idea. You can also build them out of any leftover colony
material, since you don't need to worry about things like earthquakes or
tornados tearing the building apart. You just need a roof over your head for
a little while.. =)

>These things are best deployed from low and near Earth orbit, which is where
>they were designed to operate. The Feds controlled that area until the Zeon
>invasion, after which they could have used such a system to control the
>occupied areas, if the Federation didn't blow them up when it became clear
>they'd lost the battle for Earth.

        I was thinking Zeon could have covertly deployed the missiles before
any declaration of war. The missiles are pretty hard to detect, short of
them firing or some spacecraft running literally into them. It's also
possible to hide them as space debris. Bid your time, and you can probably
set up a coverage of Brilliant Pebbles over the major areas of interest.

        It's a heck lot more precise than a colony drop, with much less
political fallout. It's not possible to stop everything coming up, but it's
posssible to stop enough..

>Think of the Earth as a prison yard and the orbiting missiles as the machine
>guns on the guard towers and you won't be far off the mark. The gravity well
>is the prison wall.

        Basically the same idea I had. Primarily, since IIRC the major MS
factories are on Earth (with some production capabilities at Luna II and on
the Moon), Zeon could make things very difficult for the Federation forces
in space if they could prevent material and manpower from getting into space.

>The original concept was to minimize collateral damage by concentrating on the
>command and control channels.

        Interesting idea. But the major flaw is if the commanders fall back
onto runners for local operations, and use remote transmissions for others.
Of course, this would seriously hamper military operations, which would help
the side with the Brillant Pebbles.

        A thought: for a LEO satelite (which this thing basically is, until
it decides to fall out of the sky...) to detect radio transmissions, the
transmitter must be broadcasting long and loud. This kind of transmissions
are likely to be strategic command posts, right? So, in a sense, these
Brillant Pebbles are a hunter-killer weapon designed to go for the big heads..

        On a battlefield situation (frontline), I suspect the Pebbles will
have problems locking on to the enemy commanders. In this case, I think a
general bombardment of the enemy lines is a better idea. It's one heck of an
artilery piece, after all; anything near the impact point will be pretty
shaken up, if they survive.

>Not so good if you end up losing, as such an impact is impossible to forget
>and, for most, almost as diffficult to forgive.

        Something I could never figured out about Operation British. Zeon
killed off all the inhabitants of the colonies, right? In essense, they are
slaugthering people who might have been sympathizing with Side 3's -- more
accurately, Daikun's idealogy. Worse, they are showing the other colonies of
other Sides that they would not hesitate to murder them if their High
Command deem it necessary.

        Won't this have incited major objections within the other Sides? I
could understand if Side 3 didn't have much objections; the media reports
there were probably filtered, and most of Side 3 would believe in their
"manifest destiny" anyway..

        But won't the other Sides come down firmly on the Federation side
because of this? No matter what kind of oppression the Federation might
inflict on the colonies, at least they won't gas an entire colony..

        And yet we see the neutrality of Side 6, and on most part, it seems
that a lot of the Federation manpower in space is not from the Sides,
although I can be mistaken here. Is Daikun's idealogy that attractive to the
colonies?

        Operation British is somewhat shortsighted. The politcal
ramification of murdering the entire population of a cylinder to achieve a
dubious military objective -- how effective is the colony drop, anyway? --
can mean that even if Zeon had won against the Federation, nobody would dare
to win them as a kind master. The destruction Zeon wrought to bring a New
Age to mankind was just too drastic.