Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:51:44 -0700

Brett Jensen writes,

>Sidestorys and prequels could still be produced as long as they didn't
>significantly screw with continuity. (08th MS team anyone?) but in
general I'd
>like to see Gundam put to rest.

  Well, they've had a good run - fifteen years of almost non-stop
sequels, a longer and more consistently high-quality run than the
rejuvenated Star Trek franchise. I'm not sure where the saga goes from
Turn A, but I wouldn't rule out somebody doing something else cool with
the Gundam legacy. With a couple of exceptions (insert your own least
faves here ;-), almost every Gundam spinoff has had something interesting
and creative to say.

>Rather than altering gundam beyond recognition, why not have Sunrise
create new
>and original shows around the Giant robot concept. Or perhaps ressurect shows
>like Dougram for a new generation.

  Sure, they're doing that too. Gaogaigar was a superb new take on the
super robot genre, which inspired video series like Z-Mind and Daigard.
And Gasaraki, from the creator of Votoms and Dougram, provided a fix for
Patlabor II fans. Then there's The Big O, which looks great from what
I've seen. But for the most part, Sunrise is doing just tons of non-robot
sci-fi... everything from Celestial Crest to Ryvius, Angel Links to
Cowboy Bebop and beyond.

  So yeah, there's actually _tons_ of original stuff coming out of
Sunrise, albeit little of it robot-related. Gundam has pretty much
outlived the entire "real robot" genre it originally spawned, and as long
as the spinoffs remain higher-quality than Star Trek Voyager or The
Phantom Menace, I can't say I object to them occasionally returning to
the well.

-- Mark