James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:09:32 -0800

>One of the major point of Gundam is this: Man is his own worst enemy. At
>the time when Gundam came out, not only was the Japanese airwave full of
>Super Robot show that barely have any real science in it, but Earth were
>basically being hit by aliens left and right.
>
>Gundam establish a couple things right away: Robot is just another piece of
>military equipment. No aliens, no easy scapegoat.

Tomino takes this further in Turn-A. The Robot(Gundam) is not a piece
of military equipment--it's only a tool. That's what Loran says to
Soshie when she complains about him using the Turn-A to do the
laundry. I don't really think this point has ever been raised in
Gundam before, has it? Gundams have always been war machines. It
certainly puts a spin on wing gundam where when peace is achieved all
MS must be destroyed.

let's see, peaceful applications of the Turn-A (as I can remember up
to ep.24)...

transports livestock (in missile tubes)
uses it's back as a bridge for trucks to drive over
washes the laundry (in a river by spinning it's hand 360 degrees)
dries the laundry (holding the clothesline up between it's fingers
and blowing air
from it's facemask on them)
Digger
jumpstarter for starship engines

Could this be the new direction people want Gundam to take?

-James Boren