-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:54:13 -0700

Dell got them first, under a Preferred Customer/Most Favored Nation type deal
with Intel. Compaq gets them next, then they start filtering out to everyone
else. I running a Dell Inspiron 7500, which is networked to a Dell Dimension
XPS B1000T, an ASUS P5/133 (used as a firewall for our DSL connection) and a
Gateway P5/233, which will be upgraded Real Soon Now to bring it in line with
the rest of the network. The Gateway machine ("Sparky") will be our Windows ME
test bed, my Dell ("Buzz Lightyear") the Windows 2000 Pro test bed, and the
other Dell ("Gidget") our production machine. The ASUS ("Starvin' Marvin"),
clock-doubled to 266, was my old PC -- I was waaaay overdue for an upgrade.

> It's old, but it still works. Will the debris from the construction
> be sufficiently large to hide, say an MS or a warship? I mean, the large
> debris such as cylinder hull sections should be quite rare, or retrieved for
> salvage or such. It's the smaller particles that's likely to be overlooked.

It will probably be more of a nebula with lots of gravel scattered through it,
although anything from lost tools to fossilized waste could be in the mix.
Cylinder sections would be common in post-War shoal zones, such as the Thorn
Garden shown in THE Shoal Zone in Gundam 0083.

> >The original plan was that the hubs of these "hatbox" cylinders would
> >be mounted on the fixed ring and that each farmsat would rotate at 2 RPM to
> >produce one gee at the hull.
>
> Oh, I get it. The hub of a farmsat is stationary and connected to
> the ring, which is then connected to the main cylinder. The rest of the
> farmsat will spin around the hub at 2 RPM, hence creating 1 G on the hull.

Correct. Spinning the farmsats introduces another complication, though. The
produce must now be lifted half a kilometer from the inner hull to the hub.
Unlike the colony proper, this is up a perfectly vertical face, not a curved
incline, against a full gee for at least a third of the ascent.

> This would mean that the produce within the farmsat can be transported to
> the main cylinder all the way through the ring, without needing to
> freeze-dry them.

The reference to freeze-drying was a joke, son. You mentioned transporting
produce outside the colony through open space and I was hinting that this might
result in unintended freeze drying and vacuum packing.

> This will also mean that the farmsat would probably have some form
> of living quarters -- whether it's used often or not, that depends on the
> workers. After all, I won't want to travel all the way back to the main
> cylinder for a restroom or a cup of coffee.. (^_^)

Well, of course, the restroom trip isn't required, as all human waste products
can be treated and used as fertilizer. And where do you think the coffee comes
from?

> The accomodation doesn't need to be terribly deep -- probably enough
> for 4 or 5 persons, since the farmsat isn't so big that it will require
> mcuch more, especially if the farmsat is also somewhat automated.

You could convert retired space shuttles into "barns" for the farmsats, just as
settlers converted boats into barns and even houses (hence the boat-shaped roof)
a few hundred years ago.

> >Just so. It takes considerable expenditure of fuel and energy to try and
knock
> >them out of the sky before they hit, so you get a free ride to the target
while
> >the enemy is forced to expend valuable resources to deflect or destroy the
> >incoming missiles.
>
> In the first place, is it possible to detect these basketball-sized
> colonies?

I assume you mean missiles and, yes, they turn into meteors and are visible for
quite a ways. You don't have much time to deal with them, though.

> I would have thought this would have been an ideal weapon to
> threated the Earth Federation with. Use an unmarked transport to scatter
> these things into Earth's Orbit, and when the time comes, just threaten
> Jaburo with a constant barrage of such weapons. As long as you have a
> greater military presence in space and can achieve localized space
> superiority, there's pretty much nothing that the Federation can do to
> eliminate the threat totally, short of nuking the area.

These things are best deployed from low and near Earth orbit, which is where
they were designed to operate. The Feds controlled that area until the Zeon
invasion, after which they could have used such a system to control the occupied
areas, if the Federation didn't blow them up when it became clear they'd lost
the battle for Earth.

Think of the Earth as a prison yard and the orbiting missiles as the machine
guns on the guard towers and you won't be far off the mark. The gravity well is
the prison wall.

> In fact, these Brilliant Pebbles can probably be modified to go for
> transports rising from the Earth's surface. This will interdict traffic
> between Earth and the other Federation military bases in space, hence making
> Zeon's life much easier in space.

The original concept was to minimize collateral damage by concentrating on the
command and control channels. Whenever someone started broadcasting orders,
they'd get hit. When the broadcasts stopped, the next one to start broadcasting
would be targetted. Sooner or later, you run out of people able and willing to
give orders. Game over.

> Of course, these measures simply doesn't have the same physical and
> pyschological impact that a colony drop will have.. (^_^)

Not so good if you end up losing, as such an impact is impossible to forget and,
for most, almost as diffficult to forgive.

-Z-