Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:29:04 +0800

At 20:59 06/13/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>Did I mention the 1GHz Pentium III/256MB/40GB HD/Windows 98 SE machine sitting
>next to me?

        The 1GHz chip from Intel is out?

>NOW you can drool. (*_-)

        Flood control! Flood control! (^_^)

>It could be handy if you want to stage the old "we'll lose them in the asteroid
>field" gag in a Gundam story, though.

        It's old, but it still works. Will the debris from the construction
be sufficiently large to hide, say an MS or a warship? I mean, the large
debris such as cylinder hull sections should be quite rare, or retrieved for
salvage or such. It's the smaller particles that's likely to be overlooked.

>The original plan was that the hubs of these "hatbox" cylinders would
>be mounted on the fixed ring and that each farmsat would rotate at 2 RPM to
>produce one gee at the hull.

        Oh, I get it. The hub of a farmsat is stationary and connected to
the ring, which is then connected to the main cylinder. The rest of the
farmsat will spin around the hub at 2 RPM, hence creating 1 G on the hull.
This would mean that the produce within the farmsat can be transported to
the main cylinder all the way through the ring, without needing to
freeze-dry them.

        This will also mean that the farmsat would probably have some form
of living quarters -- whether it's used often or not, that depends on the
workers. After all, I won't want to travel all the way back to the main
cylinder for a restroom or a cup of coffee.. (^_^)

        The accomodation doesn't need to be terribly deep -- probably enough
for 4 or 5 persons, since the farmsat isn't so big that it will require
mcuch more, especially if the farmsat is also somewhat automated.

>Just so. It takes considerable expenditure of fuel and energy to try and knock
>them out of the sky before they hit, so you get a free ride to the target while
>the enemy is forced to expend valuable resources to deflect or destroy the
>incoming missiles.

        In the first place, is it possible to detect these basketball-sized
colonies?

        I would have thought this would have been an ideal weapon to
threated the Earth Federation with. Use an unmarked transport to scatter
these things into Earth's Orbit, and when the time comes, just threaten
Jaburo with a constant barrage of such weapons. As long as you have a
greater military presence in space and can achieve localized space
superiority, there's pretty much nothing that the Federation can do to
eliminate the threat totally, short of nuking the area.

        In fact, these Brilliant Pebbles can probably be modified to go for
transports rising from the Earth's surface. This will interdict traffic
between Earth and the other Federation military bases in space, hence making
Zeon's life much easier in space.

        Of course, these measures simply doesn't have the same physical and
pyschological impact that a colony drop will have.. (^_^)