Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:06:47 +0800

At 19:20 06/12/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>No problem. While I was waiting, I upgraded from a 233MHz Pentium/128MB
>RAM/15GB HD/Windows 98 SE machine to a 700MHz Pentium III/128MB RAM/25GB
>HD/Windows 2000 Professional machine.

        Can I drool now? (^_^)

        I've also upgraded my system's RAM recently, from 16MB to 80MB -- I
was running Windows 98 on 16MB, hard to believe, nei? -- so right now I'm
having the "too much RAM for comfort" syndrome. That will pass though. =)

>No, what I was intimating was that the rocks would be drawn to the Lagrange
>point proper, while the colonies would be well out of the way in their halo
>orbits.

        Oh. Will the Lagrange points be considered navigational hazards for
spacecrafts?

>Oh, I see what you mean. The circular bases of the farmsat are opaque, with
>light being reflected by the parabolic mirror through the cylinder wall -- same
>arrangement as the colony proper, only here the Sun is "on" 24/7. If anything
>inside needs a night cycle, it gets it by being enclosed or having shutters
>thrown up.

        I assume the 24/7 means 24 hours, 7 days a week?

        From your description, it sounds like the farmsats are like
miniature colony cylinders devoted to plants. Did I get that right? This
makes it sound as though the farmsats are children of the big cylinders,
tethered to the main cylinder but spinning on its own (if necessary) to
create gravity within the farmsat.

        But this makes the ring little more than a stablizing structure --
for commute, it's likely that any workers within the farmsats need to go EVA
in order to get in and out.

>For that matter, it could be covered with photoelectric cells and turned into a
>power source for the farmsat or even the colony proper. You could even mount
>another parabolic mirror and put a full-blown solar power station on the
>Sunward side of each farmsat.

        This is a very good idea! =)

>That depends on what you mean by "destroy".

        I meant to vapourize the building, but you are right -- blowing
everything away isn't necessarily the only way to do things.

>As I recall, a village in Finland had to be evacuated because it was in the
>beam path of a Soviet super long range radar.

        The radar was that deadly to humans?

>There were actually two such initiatives. The first was called "Smart Rocks"
>about the size of a basketball with enough smarts to target radio
>transmissions.

        These things won't even need a warhead, right? Coming down straight
from, let's say GEO, it allows all its gravitational potential energy to be
converted into kinetic energy. Even given loss of velocity via friction, the
impact velocity should be still great enough to leave a significant crater
-- sort of like a miniature colony drop.