Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:10:23 +0800

> Second of all you wing lovers shouldn't even be complaining, and I agree
>with the opinion that Wing was more a design to be a money magnet than G!
They
>didn't even bother to write (or re-write for that matter) the story! you
wing
>fans may ask why the continual bashing of wing from me?! Well I liked EW to
>get it straight because it had an original plot, and you answer me one
>question, if you developed a story 15 years ago (in 1995) and someone
decides
>to write the same story with minor adjustments and label it as a fresh new
>story, how would you feel? and as a fan don't you feel cheated?I like the MS
>designs and the art was ok but the story just annoys the hell out of me!
This
>isn't flaming or anything but it really bugs me that the wing fans steal the
>thunder from UC. Just like how Greed annoys the hell out of me that its a
copy
>of Who wants to be a millionaire.

First off, I am one of those wing lovers.

Second, I am also a UC lover; I've watched 0079, 0080, 0083, f91, CCA, GW,
EW, GG and snippets of every other series.

All I can say is...I like them all. I don't care about whether or not it's
a rip-off of this or a remake of that. what matters in the end is this:
Was it entertaining? I don't get insulted if I see the same story line,
because the moment you put it in a different context, things change. the
moment that you cahnge audience target base, things change. Hell yes, the
story is basically the same, but the treatment changes. that's enough for
me. G gundam is basically a gundam version of every single fighting
cartoon series around, with a gundam twist in the macro level with the
devil gundam all in the middle of it, but hell, I liked it too. it is in
the retelling of the same formula. I loved it.

So, why all this talk of which one SHOULDN'T be gundam? get off it.
Gundam is whatever bandai says is gundam.

true, some of htem aren't everybody's cup of tea, but heck, some people
like this series or that, some don't. in the end, it still is gundam -- be
it uc, ac, or whatever else it is. Just enjoy and nitpick on the level of
"could have been edited better" or "could have been storyboarded better" or
what not. but to argue that a series should never have been gundam?
sheesh, after all the crazy stuff w've seen bandai put out, you'd think
we'd get over it. when I saw the Zeta for the first time, I thought that
it was so far from the look of the rx78 that it should be a different thing
entirely. now it's one of the best loved designs. when the G gundam stuff
first came out, so many people were crying IT'S NOT GUNDAM! Lo and behold,
today, everyone admits it was a "new direction". So for me, I just enjoy
it. That way, I don't get to worry if it's this or that when there's
nothing we can do about it.

I am NOT a starving writer.

Richard "Richie" Ramos
Associate Editor