-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:47:56 -0700

They represent two completely different approaches to creating a critical mass.

The Little Boy is a "shotgun" design -- a tube with a subcritical mass at the
end and in the middle, with a chemical explosive charge that shoots one mass
into the other.

The Fat Man is an "implosion" design -- several wedge-shaped subcritical masses
are arranged in a spherical array and simultaneously imploded into a spherical
critical mass by shaped charged studded around the outer surface.

-Z-

| W E L C O |
| M E T O |
| T H E |