Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 06:47:25 -0700

Alfred Urrutia wrote:

> I'll tell you why I can't stand watching Gundam Wing - the dialogue. Whereas
> watching a show like 0083 or Macross or Yamato might have its moments of goofiness I
> have, randomly, tried watching Wing and everytime I'm completely turned of by the
> nutty words coming out of their mouths. It is so comic book and by that I mean that
> every character insists on saying the obvious - what just happened, why this guy or
> that guy is doing something, why they're going to do x or y or z in the near
> future... I can't get into it.

It's because girls dig it, man. GW is designed to be female friendly, that's were all
the elegant costumes and flowery dialouge comes from.

Look I'm as manly as the next guy. I tend to like the Gritty Votoms type shows, but I
can also apreciate something different once in a while. GW, Escaflowne, and Brain
Powered all have this female-centric attitude.

Now EW goes too far in that direction, if you ask me, so I only watch it for the
animation.

> Compare that to a show like 0080 where the acting
> seems to be like out of a movie, the story is believable, basically, and the
> dialogue isn't so limp. I love the mecha designs in Wing (although the Gundams are
> my least favorite of the series) but the writing kills me. Not the story but the
> way it's presented to me. I can only pray that much of it is due to the English
> dubbing.

Well, The dub is pretty good but, like any dub it has it's problems. Anyone who's seen
Akira Dubbed and Subbed knows it's night and day in terms of grasping the story.

> You make a great point. It's sort of the same as how people hate "Soldier", which
> wasn't bad, partly because it's nowhere near as good as "Bladerunner". They are in
> the same universe.

They are? I liked the movie, It reminds me of Votoms.

---Brett Jensen