Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 01:05:48 MST

> >I just finished watching the first 20 episodes of Gundam X. Given number
> >and intensity of the negative comments I'd heard on this list, I was very
> >suprised by the series, plesantly suprised that is . . .
>
>Me, too. My tastes differ from the average anime fans' it seems. I kept
>hearing over and over about how Gundam X wasn't worth watching so when I
>finally saw it, I wondered what the fuss was about. It's certainly more
>interesting than the much overrated Gundam Wing (which amounted up to not
>much
>more than a total ripoff of earlier series with rejects from N'S9nc flying
>mobile suits).

LOL!

> >I really like this series. Really! It's definitely the best Gundam TV
> >series I've seen (pulling in quite a bit ahead of Wing and just squeaking
>in
> >above Zeta).
>
>I wouldn't go that far. But, yeah, it's better than Wing. If you want
>neverending, unbearably pretentious dialogues about the nature of war and
>peace that make no sense whatsoever, Gundam Wing is for you! On the other
>hand, while Gundam X won't win any originality awards, I thought it was
>solid
>entertainment.

You certanly do hate GW.

SNIP

> >What I really love about this series is the characters and the way they
>are
> >treated. All the characters are unique and all seem to have their own
> >backstory (though not all have been revealed so far).
>
>They seem kind of generic to me also. The captain of the ship, for example,
>reminds me so much of Coach from Gunbuster. The blonde chick makes me think
>of
>Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo. Tifa seems to be the Rei Ayanami of the sho7 and
>the
>GX pilot is your typical "kid who doesn't know anything about piloting but
>eventually gets better and better throughout the series". That said, I
>think
>they're done fine for what they are. Not very distinct in my mind though.

I've never seen Gunbuster. Haven't seen much Tenchi either but from what I
have seen, Toniya isn't nearly as airheaded as Mihoshi. Tifa starts out
rather Rei Ayanami like, but by ep. 20 she's a lot closer to being a
functioning human being than Rei ever got.

As for Garrod, I think he's really rather unique as far as young pilots go.
Most of the angst ridden UC Gundam pilots seem to showcase many of the bad
traits of youth (tantrums, immaturity etc.) none of the ones I've seen seem
to have any of the positive traits of kids. Garrod on the other hand is
usually optimistic, enthusiastic, has both a sense of humor and a sense of
adventure and is generally a happy person. Imagine that, a Gundam pilot
who's actually HAPPY most of the time. This is especially noteworthy when
you consider that that Garrod's life in the After War world has been a hell
of a lot harder than Amuro's or Camille's. For all of their 'woe is me'
stuff, their lives were pretty decent up until war came along.

> >I just really love this series!
>
>I agree with any criticism that Gundam X isn't very distinctive but I still
>enjoy it. For one, I like that it's the "post-Apocalyptic" Gundam show. The
>Mad Max of Gundam. :) For another, you get to see the newtypes in a non-UC
>setting. Even though it doesn't go out of it's way to distinguish itself
>from
>the other Gundam series, I find the quality consistent. They keep throwing
>enough at me to make me say "Okay, so what happens next?" and I don't feel
>like I'm watching a simple retread of other Gundam shows.
>*cough*Wing*cough*

I guess another reason I like Gundam X is a general enjoyment of
post-apocalyptic fiction. Allways loved the concept ever since I was
introduced to Twilight:2000.

I also like the high tech/low tech dichtonomy (which usually shows up in
post-apocalyptic fiction) which makes some of what I've heard about Turn A
very interesting to me.