Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:57:38 MST

Well, I think I convinced many people on this list that I was nuts with my
CCA review yesterday. This'll probably make the other half think likewise
:-)

I just finished watching the first 20 episodes of Gundam X. Given number
and intensity of the negative comments I'd heard on this list, I was very
suprised by the series, plesantly suprised that is . . .

I really like this series. Really! It's definitely the best Gundam TV
series I've seen (pulling in quite a bit ahead of Wing and just squeaking in
above Zeta).

Point by point:
The animation seems pretty nice. It's on the upper end of the range of
Gundam TV animation (which means it isn't as good as the movies or OVAs). I
like it a lot better than the Wing animation, though I suspect this is
mainly because of a darker color palate and more interesting mecha to
animate.

The mecha designs are good. I really like the Gundam X itself (in it's
original configuration, before they gave it the funky looking shield). The
satellite cannon is WAY overpowered (but I guess that's kind of the point).
I really liked the fact that the characters in the show realized his and
moved to give it some alternative armament.

I think the Airmaster's rather interesting. It's the first transforming
mobile suit that actually looks like a real airplane rather than just a
rearranged mobile suit. I guess for this reason it reminds me of the
Macross VFs.

Don't really like the Leopard as much. It definitely seems like the
Heavyarms Mk. II (or if you count the Heavyarms Kai and Custom, the Mk. IV
:-)

The story seems to be paced rather differently than other Gundam TV series,
but I like the effect. The structure involving 4-5 episode 'mini-arcs'
rather than one massive story arc seems to work very effectively.

What I really love about this series is the characters and the way they are
treated. All the characters are unique and all seem to have their own
backstory (though not all have been revealed so far). I love the fact that
lots of time is given over to character development. This is the first
Gundam series I've seen where they're willing to take a whole episode for
what is essentially a pair of character pieces.

I just really love this series!

I have to ask if anyone knows a place on the net where I can find a good
synopsis of the entire story? I tried the Gundam Project already but they
don't have much (which is unusual, their synopses of other stories are quite
comprehensive).