Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:48:40 MST

> > First off, any explosion which derives energy from either the splitting
>or
> > fusing of atoms is a nuclear explosion.
>
>But uranium and plutonium, the materials you cited, are only present in
>fission
>devices.

I mentioned Uranium and Plutonium because all current fusion devices use a
fission device as a trigger. It is theoretically possible to build a pure
fusion device (the laser triggered fusion bomb I mentioned is one possible
method) but it would still be a nuclear bomb, even if it had no fission
yield at all.

SNIP

> > Fourth, when the Federation has access to a relatively safe and
>effective
> > bomb design, why in god's name would they choose instead to go with
> > something as dangerous as a nuke that will go off when destroyed? If a
> > missile blows up in the launch tube you've just lost an entire ship. If
>an
> > aircraft crashes on takeoff you could loose an entire city! Just think
>what
> > would have happened to Gato if Kou had managed to hit the GP-02's
>bazooka
> > with even a single shot.
>
>They'd've wrapped it up in seven episodes. (^_^);
>
>I worked as a munitions loader augmentee for some years and there's no such
>thing as a safe and effective bomb design. The ammo dump or magazine has
>always
>been a prime target in warfare because of the opportunistic explosive
>potential.
>The fuel dump or tank is next in line. Gundam happily combines the two
>into a
>single point of failure.
>
>Yes, blowing up a fission device doesn't trigger a nuclear reaction. It
>does,
>however, spread the critical mass (on the order of 10 kg or 22 pounds) of
>fissionable material, which is toxic in microgram doses, over several
>square
>miles. This stuff has a half-life measured in millennia. Such an event is
>potentially more devastating than any explosive yield.

I think you're dramatically overstating the effect. While contamination
with U235 or Pu240 is nasty, it is far less intense and covers a far smaller
area than the effects of a nuclear detonation.

For example, in 1962 a Thor missile carrying a live nuclear warhead blew up
on the launch pad during the Dominic Bluegill Prime test. The explosion of
the missile effectively destroyed the launch complex and the destruction of
the warhead spewed about a sizable quantity of Plutonium. Workers managed
to decontaminate the area AND rebuild the launch complex in less than three
months.