Sir Loin of Beef (mdknight@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 09 Jun 2000 22:10:33 +0800

Yoshiyuki Tomino's appearance today in a local bookstore chain which I shall
not name has just ended. It was supposed to be a drawing demonstration and
autograph session but apparently something happened and it became a 4 or
5-question-and-answer session with autographing.

My comments?

Very poor organization.

Anyone who wanted his autograph had to make a purchase of a Gundam book
today and get a 'redemption coupon' good for 1 autograph. The choice of
books available were some by Rapport Deluxe, Gundam Biblios, the Amuro,
Char, White Base, Angels series, Gundam Episode Guides, Gundam Century
Renewal, CCA manga and the Endless Waltz mook(with all the model kit photos
and film comic).

What about all those long-time fans who had other books they wanted
autographed? I personally brought down my OOP Bandai Press MS Encyclopedia
Book 1 and 2 and didn't want to fall prey to the merchandising stunt. As a
result I didn't get an autograph.

I also noticed some others who brought stuff like the Gundam Memorial Box, a
Perfect Grade Z Gundam model kit, and MSiA figures for autographing, They
went away empty-handed too.

The notice about the coupons came up just hours before the actual event and
was said to be limited to 30. However as the event started I noticed coupons
with numbers 48 and up. As a result in the autograph queue those without
coupons were pushed further and further back and eventually after all 50+
couponholders were finished he left.

The staffs reasoning for the purchase to be made today was that they wanted
the customers to bring Gundam-related books for autographing. They must
think we're morons or something.. Why then did their choice of books include
Endless Waltz, which wasn't by Tomino?

Well, that's all for my ranting.

I brought my videocam along and hope to be posting some photos and a
transcript of his dialogue session within the next few days. I know there
were some other guys who brought their digital cameras on this list. If you
have any photos to contribute to the page do write to me.