Leslie_Rashana (trojan@atoka.net)
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:51:42 -0500

Roland Thigpen wrote:

> The production version VF-22 lacks the Brain Imaging System. After its removal, and the installation of an active stealth system on the VF-19, the two variable fighters are really about equal performance wise. It depends on the pilot. However, you are also correct in that the VF-22 was seen as more of a special forces fighter, and the VF-19 was to be the replacement for the VF-11 Thunderbolt III. The VF-22 was the one who was to be a strike-type fighter as it could carry two nucle..excuse me, reflex missiles in its internal bays (this is what Max and Miriya use on that Protodevlin near the end of Macross 7),

Reactive missiles, Reflex missiles are from robotech (sorry, don't mean
ot be nit-picky)

 whereas the VF-19 was more of a superiority fighter, with its 48
mini-missiles in its legs. And the VF-22 still had a bit better stealth
system than the VF-19, despite the active stealth system that was later
installed on it. Even with the Imaging System, the YF-22 and the YF-19
were pretty evenly matched, with it coming down to the pilots. The major
advantage (other than !
> the imaging system) that the YF-22 had was the fact that it could eject its legs if they are damaged (as seen in the Macross Plus Movie), and still maintain flight (also enhancing its abilities as a strike fighter, it was harder to take out). Most other variable fighters, including the YF-19, had their main engines mounted in the legs.
>
> Roland
>
> BTW, I helped Dave with some of those stats too, so if you are complaining about it...

well, yeah actually.. but if nobody complains how do things get
improved?

> Oh, and this really doesn't have anything to do with Gundam, so maybe it would be better taken elsewhere?

sorry, just kinda got swept-up in the debate

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse