-V- (vsze@wwdg.com)
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:43:38 -0700

From: "Brett Jensen" <heero@earthlink.net>

> Chris Beilby wrote:
>
> > D: The dealer's markup (proportionally higher for the high demand) so
the
> > store makes a profit...

<SNIP>

> he also gets CDs for $3 and sells them for $30, BTW there is no customs
on
> LDs, CDs, books, models or Cels, at least not the two times I went to
Japan.
> (and I bought alot) Postage is pretty cheap
> too if you ship it home via slow route.

Hrmm.. even though I do see your point about grossly marked up items, I
always thought that customs on consumer goods are different than
business/commercial goods. But importing cd's from japan for $3 is kinda
weird since most cd-singles start at about 950 yen minimum.

> It's rotten to stick it to people just because something is temporarily in
high
> demand. IMO, they should never charge more than $10 for a $500 yen kit.
>
> ----Brett Jensen

that's true. the stores here all charge about 1.4 or 1.5 times the original
price. So for a first grade kit of 300 yen, i'd be paying about $8
(canadian mind you!) which is about $5 - $6 american. but the thing that
sucks is that all HG kits are sold for the same price (which is also a good
thing for expensive kits) and they do mark up a bit more for newer kits cuz
they ship by UPS...