Chris Beilby (cbeilby@hotmail.com)
Sat, 03 Jun 2000 20:00:22 GMT

>From: "Chris Maier" <oom9@crosswinds.net>
>To: <gundam@aeug.org>
>Subject: [gundam] (OT)This is NOT good.
>Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:27:48 -0400
>
>Please check out this:
>
>http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Anime.htm
>
>Some people really, really disgust me.

*sighs* Having grown up in one of the most conservative fundamentalist
regions of the US (California's Central Valley, I unfortunately have a bit
of insight into the way that these people think, and it isn't pretty...

The basic thing that we have to remember is that with fundamentalist
christians, anything that they don't understand is something that has to be
destroyed or persecuted. This is a belief system which derives it's
teachings from what is a fundamentally flawed and biased interpretation of
the Bible. (King James was not the most tolerant of people...) These
people are ignorant. Not necessarily stupid, just ignorant. It's this same
ignorance that leads them to persecute homosexuals (anyone out there ever
hear of 'Reverend' Fred Phelps? If not, contact me off list, and I'll tell
you all about him...) , and is it any wonder that many Neo-Nazis and most of
the Ku Klux Klan come from the more conservative of christian religions
(such as Pentecostal and other ultra-fundamentalist Baptist sects.) These
people were raised believing in this tripe, and nothing is going to change
this sort of thing... I wonder what they'd think if they knew that shows
like Superbook were also considered anime... They also have an unfortunate
bad habit of trying to force their morality on everyone else in the world.
Sort of an "I'm right and no one else is" mentality. These people have
almost a primal need to dictate what others think...

Please note that this by no means is true of all Christians. I consider
myself a Christian. I was raised in the Methodist Church, and still believe
in the teachings of the Bible. However, I am NOT a 'Born Again' Christian,
and I feel that most of these Born Again 'Christians' are forgetting the
basic tenets of the religion, of which tolerance is a major part...