Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:52:47 +0800

At 19:26 05/31/2000 -0700, -Z- wrote:
>The position of the Lagrange points is determined by the positions of the
>Earth and Moon,
        [snipped]

        Thanks for the info.. but that still doesn't quite answer my
question (either that or I'm too dense to see it =). AFAIK, L1 amd L2 are
also fixed points in relation to the Earth and the Moon, so won't these
points move at the same speed as the Earth-Moon couple?

        (Of course, when you consider the gravitational effects of other
planets and the sun, L1 and L2 is probably going to change a bit.)

>Not only a sufficient distance, but a fixed distance. O'Neill originally
>specified that the cylinders would be ballistically coupled. This would
>set the cylinders in each pair about 70 to 80 km (45 to 50 miles) apart.

        I understand that the distance must be fixed, I just didn't make
that clear in my post. Pardon my ignorance, but why the great distance? 70
to 80 km apart from each other seems a trifle excessive.

>I think you misunderstood me. The rotation of the colonies is fixed by
>Newtonian law -- with a radius of 3.2 km (2 miles), you need exactly
>one-half RPM.

        Oh, I *definitely* misunderstood you. (^_^) But my question stands:
won't the collision of the two cylinders, anime physics being in force,
cause the two cylinders to spin at a rate higher than 0.5 RPM? Granted, the
collision may not cause such a rapid rotation, but it is possible.

        In such a case, how would the structure of the cylinder hold up? I
don't think the cylinder will take some damage due to the rapid spin, so
it's probable that the Delz faction would stop the spin, or at least slow it
back to 0.5 RPM so that the stress on the cylinder would be lessened.