Enriquez, Eric (EEnriquez@HATCH.CA)
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:47:06 -0400

Alfred,

When you do final rendering of CG for film what resolution do you use
(2048x1556)?

There have been discussions on some Home Theatre forums talking about
Dinosaur being shown on TI DLP projectors at a resolution of 1024x1024 (with
a amorphic unsqueeze lens) that look better than the film presentations.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alfred Urrutia [mailto:ledzep@d2.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 7:42 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] Live Action Gundam

Chris Maier wrote:

> Did they incorporate the live-action and SFX together in G-savior? I'm
> curious, since from what I've seen of Giren's Greed, they have some pretty
> good CG mobile suits.

You're comparing a video game to a movie? Try rezzing up a 640x486 image to
film (2048x1556) sometime and try not to cough up your lunch. Video allows
you
to get away with dozens of cheats that won't hold up to film. Why do you
think
there were nothing but F-18s in "ID4"? The didn't have time or resources to
come up with texture maps for any other jets at that resolution for
close-ups.

> I think the Japanese and the British are pretty much level when it comes
> Special Effects. I mean, Walking with Dinosaurs had good SFX,but then
again
> it took over four years to do,and British TV sci-fi still uses as many
> rubber monsters as the Japanese do.

I loved "Walking With Dinosaurs", much more than "Dinosaur" which I had the
misfortune of working on. But it's TV resolution. Some of it was clipping
and
blurred on TV, I can't imagine how bad it would look on film. There were
hardly any puppets in "Walking With Dinosaurs", and only mostly for
close-ups.
They should have stuck to cg, the puppet heads were far less lively.

Alfred.