Salamangka (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:50:13 GMT

>But that's because of what the studios have determined that
>we supposedly like here. There are really good screenwriters here who,
>if given the chance, would do Gundam proud. I doubt they'll ever get
>that far, though.

It is a sad thing, isn't it, how sometimes the industry forces at work keeps
good writers from being recognized.

>> The first problem here is that hard science fiction just does not
>> transfer well to the screen. Many have attempted to get hard science
>Does not transfer *easily*, no. Well? Yes, it does. But nobody cares
>to take the time to try. Not enough explosions or nudity, probably. Too
>many dummies in the audience, more like. Should movies not be just
>entertainment? Shouldn't they be there, occasionally, as education, to
>make viewers think? Man, what I'd give for a decent adaptation of a
>James P. Hogan book or a Gregory Benford story (to name two hard SF
>writers who haven't had their books adapted).

Surprisingly, I found this old film, "Enemy Mine" to be quite good as a sci-fi
adaptation of an old story. Stuff like that got me to thinking whether or not
hard sci-fi is just being refused entry into mainstream because people don't
like to think.

>> second problem is that giant robots are innately counter to hard
>> science fiction. Without introducing something even more improbable
>> than warp drive, there is no scientific or strategic rationale for 15
>> meter tall samurai!
>Not completely. Hard SF would only be concerned with the how to do it,
>not so much the should it or shouldn't it be done part.

innately counter? perhaps in the let's explain why there is a need sense.
but not when it comes to the actual thrust of sci-fi: not only is it about
the science, but also about how humans deal with it. in this sense, gundam
is somewhat better off than most, but I want to see how it really comes off.
  Patlabor was nice in the sense that the whole maintenance team is actually
a bigger group than the mission team. Funnier too. I think f gundam would
concentrate not just on the war is hell routine but also include slices of life,
like they did in 0080, then things would actually ram the point home much more
-- that life in a war situation, even away from the frontlines, will be adversely
affected.

>> OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. When I hear someone say
>> "Rock and Roll" I automatically assume they mean 4 piece band pop
>> music. The reason score composers tend toward classical
>> instrumentation, is because 112 finely tuned instruments, played by a
>> trained symphony tend to be a bit more capable at conveying emotion
>> than an electric accompanied by a drum set. Rock and Roll music
>Depends on the emotion. While more limited, rock and roll is much better
>at, say, conveying the "I'm going to beat you to a bloody pulp" vibe than
>orchestral music. Most movies don't call for that, though. The music
>Queen did for "Highlander" was perfect. Not dated, not "rock" in the
>typical sense.

Exactly. Rock as a genre, rock as mixed with other styles.

>> good through a camera, and what looks good on a cel. The simple fact
>> is that if you draw a cartoon as though you were shooting a live
>> action movie, the results would be extremely disappointing. You would
>> have entire scenes that made the later episodes of Evangelion look
>> like they were positively brimming with high quality animation.
>Don't tell me you don't notice the cinematography, the live-action-ness
>of "Ghost In The Shell" and "Spriggan". Both those movies seemed, for
>the most part, like rotoscopes of regular movies. Backgrounds with
>depth, framing like a live action movie, understated character movements,
>etc. It can be done. And it's better when it is, if you want a
>realistic anime like, maybe, Gundam? Transfering that to film would be
>almost too easy.

Alfred just said it all on this one...but the way a computer sees it can be
transferred to camera by programming the rig with a computer...much like what
was done by Lucasfilms way back.

>> The point is that each country has its own visual way of expressing a
>> concept. To say that you want to see a more American style of
>> directing, is really just a way of saying "I wish they would use
>> clichés with which I am more comfortable."
>True. What is familiar is usually what is demanded, here or in other
>countries. I'm getting sick of the 3 act, story arc religion that these
>movies follow, though. I liked "Pulp Fiction" for going away from that.
>Same with "The Thin Red Line" and "Dazed And Confused".

I'll have to bow down to this argument. What Filipinos find boring or cliche
may not be in other countries. so I concede the point. Perhaps I just want
to fuind a bit more familiar ways of things being shown in gundam.

>> far some of the best live action movies made. However, I think that
>> America has little or nothing to offer the world in the way of advice
>> on how to handle either animation or science fiction series. I, quite
>> literally, have seen exactly 1 American animated movie that I liked
>> enough to watch more than once (not counting 3D efforts, as I think
>> that is a totally separate genre).
>Well, the Americans (if you want to view it in those terms) started it.
>Disney, anyway, in a movie sense. They have since decided that the
>medium is there only for children's movies, barring the occasional "Heavy
>Metal" or "Fire & Ice". So, I'll watch "Sleeping Beauty" repeatedly *if*
>I'm in the mood for romantic animated movies, which I typically am not.
>But the Japanese have *got* to lose the idol singer/teenage angst ridden
>superhuman-skilled hero deal because it's just as stale as the American
>romantic leads who are from two different worlds but fall in love anyways
>cliche'.
>Alfred.

perhaps also lose the one guy and a bunch of babes tripping over him idea also.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919